I am scared to give my son ( 8 Months ) table food...

How can i get over this?? I am soooooooo scared to stard my son with table food..
The only foods I give him beside Milk is from the JARS.. Im to scared to give him coockies,waffels....
What can i do?? What is the best thing to stard him of with.... Without him chocking!!
Please help.

Thank u

Ellie.407

Asked by Ellie.407 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get a small food grinder. If the food is gound up into tiny bits, it has more texture than the jar food and you can grind all kinds of foods. Stay away from citrus and tropical fruits for now though. (they caused a terrible rash on my son)

QVC has a nice little grinder I used when my son was first starting on table foods.
    Item # K89720
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:05 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I'm afraid too. I bought those gerber puffs that say "crawler" on it. But my son swallowed it before it disolved and he choked on it. It scared me so I don't give him them anymore. My son doesn't mash things with his jaw yet. I gave him some mushed up banana and kiwi , he just played with it and didn't try to eat it.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 12:11 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Just don't do it. There is absolutely no need for table food or even solids at this age. Babies' primary source of nutrition for the entire first year is milk. Solids before then are just for texture experimentation and play. So you can skip the choking hazards and stay on baby food. A baby really has no business eating junk food like waffles and cookies anyway. You can bring on the table food when he efficiently chews and mashes food on his own, has a few teeth, can sit up on his own for long periods, and has developed the motor skills to hold his own food in his hands. But there's really no need for it. My DD slowly started finger foods at 10 months but wasn't a regular eater of them til after a year. It's ok, it's healthy, and it's safe. So don't push yourself into it.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:39 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• You should get one of these:

Fresh Food FeederIt's a Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder. You can put almost anything in the mesh bag and just hand it to baby. The holes are so small that there is no way baby can choke. It's a really safe way for your baby to learn to chew! I have one and we use it all the time even tho my DD can eat table foods. She loves it! I like to put frozen fruit or ice in it to help with teething. It's seriously the greatest thing! I got mine at Walmart for less than four bucks. I really encourage you to try it!

sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 1:19 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• my daughter is almost 8 months old and we have not given her any table foods. She gets breast milk and I make my own "solid" food for her. It is pretty easy to make a variety of food and freeze it so as you don't have to rely on the jar stuff and you can gradually increase the chunkyness so as they get used to chewing. I am also terrified about the choking hazards of food but I also want to make sure she gets all the nutrition she needs and that she experiences a variety of flavors and textures, that's why I decided to make my own. We have tried a variety of fruits and veggies. I cook up big batches at the weekend and freeze it in ice cube trays. Good luck.
    mtmommy1

Answer by mtmommy1 at 1:19 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• my daughters 7 going on 8 months and eats everything off my plate, she wont take bottles anymore if she can smell food cooking. i just make sure everything bit size.but she knows how to chew and she can eat many things whole like rasberries she loves, eats them whole. i dont even bother with baby food unless shes going to the sitters. if your baby chokes on food still then he might not be ready they all learn different and at different time. i know my dd was ready when she grabbed a slice of bread off my plate when i wasnt looking and ate half of it before i noticed, she was sitting on my lap and didnt see her do it. good luck
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 2:17 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Just start off with soft foods first. My daughters both loved mashed potatoes. Bananas are usually a hit too. If he does well with that kind of stuff, then move on to other foods. Most kids love Cheerios. They are good because even if they do get stuck in his throte, the hole in the middle will still allow some air to pass thru. Good luck!
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• The first thing I gave my daughter to try was the Gerber puffs. They dissolve really quickly so baby wont choke. I gave her those at 8 1/2 months. I was very nervous the first few times but she never had a problem. She has been on table foods ever since. I've seen a ton of people on here say not to give your kids table foods until 12 months becuase all they need is formula or BM but thats just not true for all kids. My daughter didn't gain any wieght at all for several months when I was just giving her formula and canned baby food. With in a few weeks of starting her on table food she gained several pounds. If you think your baby is ready then just give him a few little bits and pieces of something soft and see how he does. GL =]
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 11:38 AM on Jul. 11, 2009