my "replacement" doctor told me she is concerned about my twins because they arent starting to roll over at 4 months

They are 5 weeks premature. They havent even started rolling yet, and i thought they would go through their milestones when they are ready. This isnt my usual doctor, he was out of town. She asked me if i do tummy time, and i said yes, but they HATE it, and scream and cry even when i put toys next to them and talk to them blah blah blah. She said i need over an hour of tummy time a day. Is them not rolling now not normal? When did ur kids roll over? Crawl? Walk?

dennysgirl07

Asked by dennysgirl07 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was nervous around 4 months also. My son went to therapy for his neck muscles for almost 4 months. I feel like his therapy sessions helped him with everything. His overall development is great now and he will be 9 months soon. I see such an improvement. Maybe you can get them evaluated by a physical therapist and see what they say. It was such a positive experience for my son and me too. I think I started my son late with tummy time. Apparently people do it right away. I was nervous how to handle my son when I first brought him home. good luck with everything. let me know how it goes.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 12:06 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• With premies don't you subtract the weeks from the age to get the true age?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Premies are gauged by a completely different standard. My baby hated tummy time and we did alot of tummy time on our chests to keep her calm until she got used to it. Call your usual doctor when he is back in town and try not to panic. All babies are different.
    nkent

Answer by nkent at 12:12 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My son is 7 months old and just started rolling over. I must admit he was not a fan of tummy time and we did not do it as much as we should have. Don't worry every child is different.

MammaGraves

Answer by MammaGraves at 12:12 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I have to imagine that there are TONS of parents who don't do any tummy time at all, in which case it obviously will take longer for them to roll over and hold up their heads. I wouldn't worry about it, and if you are concerned i'm sure increasing their tummy time will do the trick! Good luck - and definitely talk to your regular doc before you get too concerned.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 12:16 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Tummy time became important when the Back to Sleep campaign started. When people started making their babies spend most of their time laying alone on their back there started being developmental consequences.

Instead of tummy time you can carry the babies, use a sling, use a front carrier, do lots of things that put them in different positions. If the babies are breastfed then they are getting a lot of side time. If they are bottle fed hold them like they where breastfed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:23 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My first loved roling onto her tummy from a month and half with my second she didn't like it til 5 months old so she hardly rolled onto ther tummy til now. I think with each kid it's going to be diffrent especialy premies.
    Fiammetta07Anma

Answer by Fiammetta07Anma at 12:57 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My girld didn't roll over until after 4 months. If I were you I wouldn't worry about. Your babies will develop at their own rate. My daughter was sitting and standing with help before she showed any interest in rolling over. She also hated tummy time. She is now 7.5 months old and she loves to sleep on her tummy. They all develop at their own rate. I have spoken to lots of Moms who say their babies never crawled, just give them time, they will get there.
    mtmommy1

Answer by mtmommy1 at 1:12 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My daughter started rolling at 3 months. She also went through physical therapy for her neck and I think that is what helped her so much. I know that the parents as teachers women that works at the same school I workat says that it could be anywhere from 3 to 6 months (sometimes later, sometimes sooner). I wouldnt worry yet but just contact your doctor when he gets back to ease your mind. Congrats on the Twins!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 1:43 AM on Jul. 11, 2009