I need help! Flying to West Coast with 12 month old! Which flight would you choose?

I need your help ladies!

My aunt had a stroke, and I need to fly from NY to CA with my 12 month old.

The problem? The airline I have to take only has flights at 6am OR 5pm...nothing in between. And there will be at least 2 layovers...totalling at least 10 hours of travel time.

Which would you choose? 6am or 5pm?

My daughter usually does to bed by 7:30pm, and she wakes up by 7:30am.

Thank you!

Fallaya

Asked by Fallaya at 12:03 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'd say the 6.am flight. With luck, she might fall asleep on the plane. But..... If you go for the 5pm flight, she might not fall asleep for bedtime. At least when you get to CA she can go to bed if you take the 6am flight.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• 6 am, simply because morning flights are less likely to be delayed than evening flights!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 12:10 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Depends on your layovers but I agree with the first poster. What time are they? If she's asleep you will jostle her and wake her as yo travel through the airports. Which means she could get cranky. At least with during the daytime, and with the layovers she can "stretch" her legs etc.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:12 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I would take the morning flight because you will both be closer to your regular schedule. If you go in the evening she may sleep, but you won't, so the next day you will be a zombie and she will be raring to go.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:21 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I've been flying with my son from Oregon to Michigan 2 - 4 times a year since he was 6 months old. I would choose the 6am flight. But you are going to have to keep in mind, the nap times are going to go right out the window. She will probably fall asleep on one of the flights, but may really fight it before she does. If she is walking, do your best to make her move during the layovers. She won't be as fidgety during the flight. One thing I always do is to buy one new toy to bring on the flight. If it's something she's never played with before, it will keep her occupied a little longer than the old toys she's used to.
    Have a good flight!
    SewingVeronica

Answer by SewingVeronica at 3:07 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• i would personally choose the later flight..that way theres a chance your child will just sleep thru it...giver her some gravol and she'll pass out..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2009