a Q for moms who have or have had their foster care license

We DH and I just moved into a lovely suburban rural area and have a big house and a huge yard. I'm a SAHM going to homeschool. I have lots to offer... time, space, love, attention, and playmates (my 2 amazing kids) I do NOT want, need, nor do I expect a profit. But as we're discussing more and more about getting our foster care license I am thinking about money more and more. We're a single income fam and we are soooo not rich. We moved from the city to a small town to enjoy the lesser cost of living. I know that a foster child's medical care would be covered. But I am thinking of all the things I would need to buy, just to START OUT:

Several carseats (newborn thru booster seat)
A highchair, toddler bed, crib, etc etc etc etc
How much $$$$ help do you get for them per month? Is it more if it's a baby (formula, diapers, etc) if you have to travel really far to bring them to court or a visit do u get refunded?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 12:14 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Adoption

• I sent you a link based on your state. It would be a good idea to talk to other foster parents in your area as you may have different concerns than other states have. There are also a lot of foster care groups here on CM. Check them out. It will help you get an idea of what foster care life is like on a daily basis. Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:09 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I'm sure every state is different, so I can only speak about what I know about fostering in Ohio. It's wise to understand the costs associated so you can better determine what ages and how many would fit your family better.

In Ohio we are given a car seat (age appropriate) once that you keep for the length that you are fostering. Highchairs, toddler beds, cribs, etc. are all at your expense. A great place to get items is a children's resale shop or Craigslist. Just make sure you aren't buying any recalled items. We also get a clothing allowance, but they tell you exactly what the child needs to buy (i.e. 4 onesies, 3 pajamas, etc.). As the child grows, you will get another clothing allowance. All foster children are eligible for WIC. If you have a baby, that is extremely helpful because formula is included. If you choose older children, then part of the groceries will be covered. Daily rates vary for child cont.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 7:59 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Daily rates vary per child, per situation. For example a "special needs" child does get a higher daily allowance. All foster children are on the state's medical program (for us it's Medicaid) so their costs are not your expense. That also covers prescriptions. You do have to take them within so many days to see a doctor after placement. We are reimbursed for mileage for anything strictly relating to the child (doctor visits, visits with family, etc.) Here in Ohio, we are offered a transportation driver who comes and picks up the child for visits and brings them back to you. They would rather you bring them, but if you can't, they do provide a driver.

If you have any other questions, you can always e-mail me, but the best way to get specific information for your state would be to talk with other foster parents in your area.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 8:02 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• It varies so much state to state. In my state we had to prepare completely for the children before we were ever licensed which meant cribs, carseats, clothing, toys, bedding etc. all came out of our own pocket before we ever had a child placed. Our monthly rate was $302 per child (we had newborn twins) and we didn't recieve our payment until one month after placement. This means that I had to support 3 day old twins with no preperation or advanced noticed out of my own funds. All foster children 5 years and under qualify for WIC, but it was up to me to make the appointment so until I could get them in, I had to purchase all their formula on my own. I eventually recieved a one time clothing allotment of $250 per child. Check with other people who foster in your area though because a lot times foster parents have a lot of items they can pass on.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 10:20 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I also am from Ohio and as you're about to learn it's even different county to county. We did have to show we had the basic set up for the age child but beyond that we waited until we had a placement to get clothes, etc. If you are interested in only baby's then you might consider keeping a small package of size 2 diapers on hand. They can be made to fit a newborn in desperate times and stretched to fit a size 3 for short term use. Also whenever we have a placement all we have to do is let the word out at church and usually within a day or 2 someone will donate a bunch of clothes in that size. We're not picky. We have put "boys" clothes on a girl and in a rare case "girl" clothes on a boy until we could get clothes to fit. We also have a stash that we have built up in our backroom of various size boy/girl clothes up to size 6x/7 as that is the approx range that we will foster.Cont
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Our county does not do transport except in cases of emergenices. They consider that part of being a foster parent. Depending on the age of the child you get $18 - $27 per day per child per dium. Medical cards come with all children but sometimes it can be a pain finding a doctor that will take the child. Sometimes even their regular dr won't anymore due to parents already missing bunches of appt. We do get 1 clothing allowance within a day or 2 of the child being placed. I hit up my stash 1st, family/friends 2nd, goodwill and then Walmart (where voucher is good for). We live on a farm so the kids clothes get staind and I'd rather buy them a bunch of cheap stuff first and then fill in with new stuff to round out the list of things they need. Children 5 & under are WIC which helps. I also stock up on basic school supplies during the summer sales so I can outfit those cheaply.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:23 AM on Jul. 13, 2009