what are your thoughts on going to bed without your dinner as a punishment?

Is this stone-age? Or an OK occasional discipline. For sanity and safety and common sense assume it's a perfectly healthy child, not an infant/toddler or a kid with medical or nutritional issues

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 12:28 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I've done it before to my now 8 year old.. and it wasnt that long ago actually. The whole week he complained that everything I made was disgusting & didnt want to eat it so one of those nights he started again and instead of this time taking away dessert I took away dinner, made him put PJs on & he said "Now what" I said... "Go to bed". He just looked at me like I was crazy.. I actually had to walk him up & turn out the lights... It worked.. for a while anyway LOL. he's back at it again, so I think I may use it again, maybe make it for his breakfast the next day LOL
    luvmyboys2

Answer by luvmyboys2 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I don't think food should be used as a reward or punishment. If a child won't eat their dinner at dinnertime, wrap it up and reheat it if they come back later and say they are hungry. If they still won't eat it, they really aren't hungry and may go to bed without.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:29 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Children should never be punished by having to go to bed without dinner.
    If you have parents that do this they are bad parents.
    When you grow up you can be a better parent.
    A Mom Who Never Did This To Her Kids
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:30 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I would call it OK, maybe his/her empty stomach may get them to think about what got them there to begin with!
    MotherHubbard78

Answer by MotherHubbard78 at 12:30 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I never really used it. I guess I was too afraid of them waking up in the middle of the night hungry.

I did hear something I never really thought about yesterday. I heard a pediatrician recommend this: when the child is throwing a temper tantrum, splash cold water on them. Completely harmless and it will stop them.

(let the bashing begin on that one... but it's pediatrician recommended...)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• We are considering it in my house. I was resistant at 1st but the pediatrician said this evening that if a kid was sick, went to bed early, didn't like what was served for dinner, wasn't hungry, etc etc etc will goto bed with an empty stomach so what's the difference. I agree w/ 1st poster about using food as punishment being not so great though
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:35 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• ummm thats ridiculous your gunna punish ur kid with no dinner? WOW go take some parenting classes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Our son would refuse to eat as a way to punish us (or so he thought,) so he'd go to bed hungry. I worried the first couple of times, but then he realized it was something he could use against us, and started doing it too much (we'd let him come back later and eat, after dinner was cleared away, which in our house means mealtime is over, and no more food), and we had to crack down on him. He now either eats at mealtime or goes hungry. I am NOT a short order cook, nor will I allow my children to "graze" through the day. Mealtimes are family times, and extremely important to us. The only times the kids go to bed with no dinner now is when they're sick and just don't want to eat. (I DO let them kind of "graze" through the day when they're sick.)
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 12:41 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• When I was a kid my mom used to do this to me a lot of times and I did not get traumatized about it, I do not need a therapy or anything else I just learned that when mom said that I had to eat I better do it because then i would be hungrier. And whenever I did not like my mom's food she used to give me the same food over and over until i eat ( so if the lunch didn't like it my mom would give me the same lunch re heated at dinner, and then at breakfast until I would have to eat it).My babies pediatrician told me the same thing do not let your kid dictate you what he/she wants you are the mom you tell them what to eat and they have to learn to respect you and eat the food.
    Thanks God for now my babies don't seem to have that problem yet they eat anything I gave them LOL : )
    Vero529

Answer by Vero529 at 12:46 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I have never done this & truly hope I never will. I think that using food in this way sets up food as a reward of some sort & that leads to bad eating habits as an adult. In my house, dinner is dinner. If you don't like dinner, then your one option is peanut butter on wheat bread. Either you eat dinner or you request peanut butter on wheat & that is your dinner. I also cannot stand the thought of my children being hungry. I can remember one time I got stuck in traffic & my DS was just a baby. He cried hysterically for about 15 minutes before I could nurse him & by the time I could stop, I was in tears as well. It just broke my heart. Life is hard enough without making a child go hungry. There are better ways to get your point across, imho. Plus, if a child goes to bed hungry, they are going to wake up famished & cranky & I can't see how that helps. You have to do what works for you but this doesn't work for us.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 2:22 AM on Jul. 11, 2009