Birth plans?

i'm just about to hit 20 weeks, and now is the time that I am wanting to get my birthing plan in order, and it will be my first one, baby #3.
I am in no way wanting to 'copy' just seeing what you requested, and if it was followed through?
Or if you didn't have an actual plan, what were some of your requirements that you made sure they followed through with?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wanted: an epi, a sheet over my cooch so nobody could see, no pink clothes, and to breastfeed
    I got: an epi -but it wore off and no pain meds would work, giving birth on my hands and knees- everybody saw everything and saw me poop myself, no pink clothes and I did get to breastfeed.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:47 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• with both babies I had 2 page birth plans and it backfired.... no one really looked at them or cared. It REALLY does NOT MATTER, though. you and your partner need to babysit everything and everyone any way, birth plan or no birth plan. Example, if you don't want eye oinment, you can have it in your brithplan but the nurse who's cleaning your baby off wont know, care, or remember. So you or your partner need to babysit and hound her and remind constantly, check and double check, Once a baby's had a bottle, been vax'd, circd whatever that's it, it's done and over forever.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:47 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• keep it short and sectioned off... here's the body of mine...

Labor
    Intermittent monitoring is important so I can move freely and cope with labor.

As few vaginal exams as possible.

Please do not offer me an epidural or pain meds; I will ask if that is something I want.

Birth
    Tearing is preferred to another episiotomy.

Umbilical cord must be allowed to stop pulsating before clamp.

Uterine massage, not pitocin, for afterbirth delivery aide.

Baby Care
    Bath and placement under warmer is unnecessary.

Do not retract our son’s foreskin.

Rooming-in and exclusive breastfeeding. No pacifiers.

Do not administer eye drops, vitamin k, or the hepatitis B vaccine to our son. If he is nursing well and showing no signs of low sugar then we will also be forgoing any glucose tests. I am prepared to sign waivers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• and yes, as mentioned above my post... YOU MUST KEEP BABY IN SIGHT AT ALL TIMES IF THERE ARE THINGS YOU **DON'T** WANT DONE.

birth plans are an important tool for you to discuss your desires with your care giver, and to clue nurses in.. but some nurses really don't care and don''t want to be clued in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• i think people put too much into it... my labor and deliveries were wonder ful.. i had them in a hospital, induced( not by choice... b/c of b/p) got an epi when i felt i needed to ... pushed when i felt it.. had 2 beautiful, healthy boys that are circ'd and vax'd and had eye ointment.. (i mean why not?)
    the only thing i asked them not to do is the hep b vacc, only b/c my sons ped, is the dr i work for and he administered int he office a couple days after the hospital...

On a separate not, I am very laid back and do not feel like i have to be in total control of every aspect of my kid's lives
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• i didn't mean for that post to be anonymous
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 1:09 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• why not eye ointment? because if you're in a monogamous relationship and are STD-free... there is no point. I'm laid back too, but prefer to steer clear of any medical unnecessaries.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• i prefer to go with the flooow. that's not the only reason eye drops are used just fyi :)

VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 1:17 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• it's used to protect against infection.. yes mainly from gonorrhea and chlamydia... but also from other things... infection at birth or shortly there after is a top reason for blindness in children.. why risk it?! if my hospital still used silver nitrate i wouldn't do it either.. b/c it hurts... most hospitals now a days use erythromycin.. it doesn't burn... my husband tried it!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 1:24 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I had great nurses who had already read my birth plan when I got to the hospital (medical induction for high blood pressure). Because I was induced and had high blood pressure, though, most of my birth plan was null and void, and my midwife SAID she was very supportive of informed consent, but she stripped my membranes without asking and clamped and cut the umbilical cord on the pereneum, which was specifically against my birth plan. So yes, you need to babysit. Get your care provider to SIGN your birth plan, stating that they have read it through. Then give them a copy to have in your chart, give the hospital a copy and bring THREE copies with you to the hospital. One for the labor room, one to give to your labor nurses and one to keep for your nurses after delivery.

Be vigilant. Actually, your partner needs to be vigilant because you will be in labor.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:28 AM on Jul. 11, 2009