if you choose not to go to college, why?

i'm just wondering, not here to bash you, it just seems like a LOT of girls i went to school with who had babies (i graduated 06 but there are a lot of 05's too) say they have no interest in college at all, and to me, going to college is SO fulfilling, it makes me so happy that i couldnt imagine not going. but i'm a lot different than a lot of people (i'm bi polar with OCD) so i dont think like a 'normal' person, so i'm just trying to get a better understanding of people, plus my major is sociology ;]

pookipoo

Asked by pookipoo at 12:52 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I feel like college is more of a society pleaser than anything. I'm happy as a stay at home mom without being a student or having an out of home job. But IDK if I'll go later since I'm pretty sure to have to work out of home sooner or later.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:06 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I am 26 and am starting school this fall, i'm so excited!! i started school right after i graduated in 00... got sick dropped out, got a good paying job... intended to go back.. got married.. .really going back now... baby #1... few years later baby#2....NOW i realize what i could be doing for my family!.. oh if i had done things a little different! Nursing school here I come!!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 12:56 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I chose not to go to college because it didnt interest me. I had spent my whole life in school. I didnt understand the concept of paying to learn things that Im going to forget in a few years anyway when I could be working in the real world and getting experience for a better job. By the time I was out of high school for 2 years, I was manager of a restaurant making $10/hr. I loved it!!! Besides, my dream job was to be a housewife anyway. And dont get me wrong, its not like I was stupid or anything, I graduated with Advanced Studies, with many honors, and was in the top 10% in my class. School and learning just does not interest me.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:59 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• i chose not to go to college..only cuz i didnt even finish highschool..lol..school has never interested me..i knew i didnt want some job where i sit at a desk all day long..i would rather work my way up in a company, and do it that way..which is exactly what im doing..im already making $17/hr at my store..so..realllllllly its not that bad!! and i totally enjoy it..its the same, yet different every day, due to different customers and sales in the store and what not! i love it!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:08 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I graduated in 07 went to college for 2 years and now I dont know what to do so I am going to go back when I have a better idea of wht I wnat to do with my life
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:08 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• thanks ladies :] those are all very good answers!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:10 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• well I graduated from HS in 93, but I did go to school for awhile. Then I found out, I was mediocre at what I wanted to major in (Interior Design) and now I realize that I have 30,000 dollars in student loans and my fellow students who graduated have jobs that I could have gotten out of HS if I had worked there for a few years. Literally my one friend, is a Department manager at Home Place. Not knocking her, but its the truth. I do want to go back to school but its not a priority for me right now.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:15 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My parents didn't make it seem important. Nice, huh? Now I'm stuck, living paycheck to paycheck. I will be starting school in the fall.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 1:16 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I didn't go for a few reasons:

1) I hated school (I had a hard enough time paying attention for 45 minutes lol)
    2) I couldn't afford it and years of paying off student loans did not sound appealing AT ALL
    3) I constantly ran into people at coffee shops, clothing stores, etc that were college graduates... doing the exact same job that I was already doing
    Krystinplus3

Answer by Krystinplus3 at 1:23 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• thanks ladies you all have such good points, its VERY important to find something you're passionate about! i'm very passionate about sociology (its like the study of people in their cultures/ social settings in case you were wondering :]) so thats probably why it makes me so happy! its important in life to be happy and if college wont do it for you then find something else :]
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:24 AM on Jul. 11, 2009