Is this common? How should I feel about this?

My husband wants to have a sleepover at his friends house for his buddies birthday. We have four kids. The youngest is nine months, the oldest just turned seven. Is it strange for a man to have sleep overs at his friends house? I mean, we're married. We have kids. Shouldn't he be spending the night at home? Or is he right to take a break from home and have a kid free night? Not that I can remember ever having a kid free night since I've given birth to my first born. But, what does that have to do with him? I dunno. Maybe I'm venting. Maybe I'm not. Do/has your husband ever had a sleepover at his friends house?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• If my DH rarely got to go out i'd certainly let him have the night out. But DH and i also stive very hard to keep our relationship under equal responsibility.

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:15 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I just asked my husband this and he said:" i can imagine wanting to get a night off occasionally to pass out drunk at my friend's house, but I would never call it a sleepover." Did he call it that? If so, that is kinda weird. On the other hand, if he wants to go out and party and then sleep at his friend;s so as not to come home and disturb your family, I can understand that. Before I had an infant, If I stayed out late, I'd spend the night at my friend's house rather than going home and waking my husband up.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:16 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My husband has never had a sleep over at someone else's house. He has came home at 4am, drunk as a skunk!, but he has never not came home.

Every October he and some friends go to Glamis, camping, for a guy weekend - which means no wives or kids.
    MaryAnne3mommy

Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 1:16 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• he doesn't call it a sleep over. :) He just says that he's gonna hang out with his buddies and he'll be home in the morning. They don't get drunk either. they have a few drinks, and stay up till 4 in the morning watching movies. but, it's good to know that other men get away from it too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• A camping trip...ok. But staying overnight to drink and watch movies? That's odd. Other than an emergency (ie. bad weather, no designated driver, etc), there is no reason for a married guy to spend the night with a bunch of other guys. It's fine for a guy to get away for a few hours and hang out with his buddies but planning to spend the night with them is just strange. Yeah, something smells fishy.
    starwildchild

Answer by starwildchild at 1:46 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My DH goes away for nights or weekends with his friends a few times a year. They stay up all night gaming, drinking and eating a bunch of junk food. In the wee hours they all crash on whatever floor or sofa is available. Some of them even bring sleeping bags, air mattresses and pillows. DH doesn't drink a lot but I'd still rather him stay there and get some sleep rather than trying to drive home tired and tipsy at 4 a.m.

Of course, DH also reciprocates by staying with the kids while I go ghost hunting all night and hang out with my dance troupe. If he didn't do that, I might not be so understanding about the gaming weekends.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:25 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I think it's ok. At least he doesn't want to drink and drive. I think he's trying to have responsible fun. What's wrong with that?
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:17 AM on Jul. 11, 2009