How do you buy your chicken?

Do you buy whole chickens and cut them up? Fresh organic boneless/skinless thighs from the meat case? Flash-frozen bags of boneless breasts? Only "pick o' the chick"?

I used to only buy the store brand or brand name fresh breasts in the foam containers covered in plastic wrap (I'm sure there's a technical name for that), but recently discovered the massive bags of flash-frozen chicken parts. I also buy whole chickens for roasting and bone-in parts for bbq and greek lemon chicke with potatoes.

Avarah

Asked by Avarah at 1:16 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I buy mine as newborn chicks. We raise them ourselves so that we know exactly what we'll be eating, not to mention that it's a LOT less expensive than buying it in the store. When it's time to get them in the freezer we'll leave half as whole chickens for roasting or rotisserie and the rest will be cut into boneless breast pieces, drums & thighs, then wings.

When I have bought chicken from the store in the past, we prefer the flash frozen B/S chicken breasts.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:33 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I've found that whole fryer chickens are normally the cheapest, so that's what I buy. If those aren't on sale, I buy boneless skinless thighs.
    MaryAnne3mommy

Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 1:18 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Fresh organic bonless/skinless breasts from the meat case.
    But i dont have much of a freezer to store things in and i'm just learning how to really cook. I wouldn't have a clue what to do with a full chicken. lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:18 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• boneless skinless chicken breasts
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 1:25 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I keep several different types in the freezer. Tenderloins, whole chickens, legs, thighs.
    BTW..our Safeway had whole fryers on sale for .69 a pound.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• The only chicken I can stand to prepare and eat is fresh skinless, boneless chicken breasts. I know they are a fortune. But I can't stand bones, or skin. Its fatty and makes me ill to think about it.
    Gross.

My favorite meats are breaded and processed! I account that with the reason I look so young! I'm preserved!
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 3:12 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I buy the organic boneless/skinless breasts, cutlets, or tenders.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Wow. Michiganmom, you left out a step between what they eat and how they get into your freezer. I'm guessing they don't fly there?

devlish

Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL I didn't want to get too graphic....we actually do it ourselves, did 43 yesterday as a matter of fact, and we have 50 more chickies coming this Tuesday.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Oh man! I have so much respect for that. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it, though I do find the live specimens to be pretty annoying. :D
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 5:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2009