to breastfeeding moms...

so i want to breastfeed and was thinking of a time frame to do it for..

heres what i planned

breastfeed for 6 months or so ----because teeth should be comming in and I want to have him weined before he can walk to my boob.

pump until his 1st birthday or 18 months and have him drink from a sippy as soon as I have him weined after 6months....

so this way he'll still be getting breast milk for a year to year and a half but I wont have to have a toddle hanging from my boob

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stop planning so much. Make small goals... 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, etc... and re-evaluate. You will probably find that you change your feelings once you are in the situation.

Teeth aren't usually a big deal and walking has no connection to a child's need for comfort and nutrition at the breast.

Remember that pumping is a lot of work and not as effective as nursing... pumping from 6-18 months would be nearly impossible for most to maintain (not to mention a HUGE PITA!). On top of that, nursing is not only for nutrition... babies and toddlers get a lot of comfort and stress relief from it and that's one of the major advantages of nursing! They also need oral stimulation.

Aim to just get through the first 6 weeks for the moment. And stop calling them tits... are you a 14 year old boy or something?

LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:15 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I think you are being a little too specific with your timetable. My little girl just got her first tooth at 7 months. I am hoping to breast feed her for the first 12 months. Right now we nurse and I pump so as she gets milk from a bottle and from me. She is now 7.5 months old and shows no interest in drinking from a cup. You just have to let them develop at their own schedule.
    mtmommy1

Answer by mtmommy1 at 1:23 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• if it works for you, great!
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 1:24 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Ummm... It is really hard to figure out a correct response to this. Is this your first? I have had 5 kids and each one was a different experience. The first 2 I had to wean at 4 months, the 3rd I chose to at 5.5 months. I couldn't stand BFing my 4th, so I was done at 2 months, but this time my son just had his 1st birthday and I am not ready to wean him completely yet. He is down to 2 feeding a day and we are both happy with that. I think that if you are worried about what other people think about you continuing to BF after 6 months or a year, you should rethink your entire approach. Also, I don't know if you have ever tried to pump (seeing as this is probably your first) but it is not as easy as you think. It takes A LOT of time for little results. Plus, last I checked, 6 months is not a toddler.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 1:31 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• OP

these were all approx. I dunno when he'll be able to walk or get a first tooth i just know we have early walkers in my family and I dont want a baby walking to my tit
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Also, getting a baby on a sippy is not as easy as you think. Even with BFing (or bottle feeding), I have never had a baby ready for a sippy at 6 months old. I have tried (daily), but it doesn't always work out the way you want it or plan it. My best advice to you (as a new mom) would be to keep your heart and mind open and take each day as it comes. You have a blessing on the way. You may never be able to BF, or you way love it so much you will continue until baby is 4. I know, extreme, but my point is, you don't know what the future will bring. Try to enjoy what you have now.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 1:34 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• OP

I said toddler because Im sure that I wont have him weined at 6 months butthats when I want to start I dont want him going into toddler hood onmy tit...id rather have a bottle with breast milk or tippy with it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• That was supposed to say "may" not "way".
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 1:35 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I havent gotten there yet my mom told me she had me on a siipy right off the boobs she didnt wanna deal with breast to bottle to sippy so she just went breast to sippy but I was also told she stopped breast feeeding me at 1 but like you I want to stop or try when the baby can walk cuz that weirds me out but maybe ill have a change of heart when my babies here
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:37 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• If that's your attitude towards it, it won't last. Have you read about pumping or full term wEAning? PM for help if you need.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2009