Christians-does the free will work both ways with God?

I asked a question earlier about my sister and how she is will not respond to my efforts to talk to her. Thansk for the responses. The more I think about it I can see why it might not be the best time for me to get too chummy with her.

**To those of you who want to get rid of the anon button, I don't think I would ask this question without it but I felt a lot better after my last question was answered**

So does the free will work both ways? Many of you said God won't make her respond to me she must do it on her own free will. On the other hand, if a relationship with her right now is not in my best interest and God answered my prayers by telling me to wait, was it on her own free will she did not respond to my emails or because it isn't the right time? After thinking about it I agree it isn't the right time for us to reconcile although I dont hold a grudge, but my self esteem is much higher w/o her around.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• timing is everything... I tend to believe it isnt the right time. Just pray for her for now.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I went to read the last question and found a very rude response. I want to make it clear this isn't some sort of project and the rift has NOTHING to do with religion, however, my sister and I are both practicing Catholics. We both have made our choice on our own.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Samantha, I don't know if you happen to use religion as an example or if my posts are sounding like religion is the reason we are fighting. The truth is we never got along even when we were kids. She had a way of making me feel 2nd class to her. and maybe she is still working inside my head and I think it is my fault and my job to make peace. but she is the oldest so maybe it is her job? I don't know...sorry about the rant. I just wanted to be clear it isn't religion. she is allowed to believe what she wants.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I didn't mean for that above post to sound as snotty as it did. I am tired and my mind has been on this all day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I'm sorry. I though maybe you were saying she wasn't a believer. I misunderstood.
    Samantha_1629

Answer by Samantha_1629 at 3:20 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I am in a similar situation with my sister-in-law. Maybe God wants to spend this time with you, working on your self-esteem. Maybe your involvement with her at this time could undermine God's work in your life. Keep praying!
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:46 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Free will is an illusion. You cannot have God's plan and free will at the same time- it's an oxy moron.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:50 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• yes, it can work both ways. otherwise, it would be like praying for your problem to go away, at the expense of someone else's. things work out the way they are supposed to, when they are supposed to. (i didn't read the other post).we all have choices to make; you can only make your choices, not your sister's. if she comes around at a later date, you need to be ready for that. whatever the issue is, if you've forgiven her and reconciled in your own heart, you will be open to her response...hopefully, it will be a positive one.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:25 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• gosh i hartu, there is an entire post for people like you a few down. Why don't your scurry on down and read about it. Yea, it's not just Christians...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• O.K. OP if you are sensing God telling you to back away a bit then that is what is best. I have a situation similiar to yours. My sister and I have issues and so correspondence is limited. Your heart seems to be in the right place, but your sister may not be ready to share deep things like faith.

As far as free will, I believe it is very real. God doesn't make us obey Him, He doesn't make us believe in Him. He calls, He prompts, He arranges circumstances to influence us, but ultimately we make the choice, both to believe and to follow.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2009