Harry Potter

What's your view on it? Is letting my kids read this or even reading this myself a horrable thing to do? I don't want to piss off God yah know...

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 3:06 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Since Harry Potter is a work of fiction, and God created man with this INCREDIBLE IMAGINATION for us to use and share, there's nothing wrong with reading it. If you are capable of looking beyond the 'ooohh..magic' aspects and see it for what it is - a story of Good vs Evil that WE ALL HAVE TO DEAL WITH in every day life, then go for it. As the Bible says...Try everything, retain what is Good. So read it, try it, and if you don't like it, stop and turn to something else. God does not forbid us to explore the world around us. Just learn to discern that which is good and that which is bad.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:21 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Did you read any Shakespeare? Cinderella, Snow White?  Peter Pan?  

its all got magic and witches and faires but its make believe and fun to read.   you can't keep them at least from Shakespeare whose writing is full of magic.  kids study his works in school. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• God doesn't care if you watch Harry Potter.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:32 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• No I don't think god would if so I'm going to hell first I've seen them The whole is an extremest stand point.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:15 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I think God does care if we read it. We are supposed to do everything to glorify God, so that means we need to read things that glorify God. I would not let my children read or watch it.
    Phil 4:8
    1 Cor 10:31
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 5:23 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I think its safe. God created the writers, and i think if he didn't want us reading it he would have done away with them before they wrote it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• It's filled with parallels to the Bible- which contains divination, people rising from the dead, magical animals, choices, free will, sacrifice and good triumphing over evil.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:18 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Personally I am for anything that will motivate kids to read. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Harry Potter.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:27 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I don't read anything I wouldn't share with Jesus. I don't think the Lord would be entertained by witches, magic, and sorcery.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:41 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• If you're 100% sure of your faith, no fictional book could sway your belief.

Also, how arrogant of you to assume Jesus has your taste in reading material... perhaps he likes best sellers, afer all, the Bible is a best seller and is filled with prophetic dreaming, magial creation, zombies, sex, murder, torture and all sorts of fun stuff.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:48 AM on Jul. 11, 2009