Luke 9: 59-62

Luke 9: 59-62
59 And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.
61 And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.
62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

Please explain this to me!!!!!!

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 3:32 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• As Christains sometimes we all geared up to do God's will. When the time to show-up to do God's will we have all kind of excuses why we can't. Jesus in veres 62 just letting us know you say you will follow me, but you keep looking back with excuse why you can't. No one with that attitude is fit for the kingdom of God.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 4:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• It means that you should love the Lord so much that you are willing to leave everything behind for Him if He asks it of you. It goes with the loving the Lord more than anybody else.
    Here is an example:
    If the Lord put it on my husband to go to a remote country and preach His work for... lets say 6 months. If my husband didn't follow the calling of the Lord then that means he's not putting Him first. If my husband were to be called by God to do anything like that then i would absolutely want him to go.
    I hope that helps.
    Samantha_1629

Answer by Samantha_1629 at 3:37 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• The breakdown--
    Verse 59 &60...The man wanted to wait to bury his father first (which could have been years off!) to follow Jesus. Jesus knew this and that's why He answered in this perceived insensitive way.

60 &61....The man probably wanted to return to his people (and his old ways) for a while first. He likely didn't even have his own household yet, and wanted to get married,have a family,and "live his life" first. This is why Jesus stated, "No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God."

The message is that, "today if you will hear His voice, harden not your hearts...." (Hebrews 3:15) Now is the time to accept Him, because tomorrow may not come for us. We should not put off answering the Lord's knock at the doors of our hearts. (Revelation 3:20) We may never get another chance.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:23 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Someone once pointed out that even the most cold-hearted employer would allow their employee time off to go and bury their family members. Jesus is saying, "Tough sh*t, I'm number one and I'm not going to allow human emotions to get in the way of me getting all the attention." It is a level of cruelty and arrogance that the supposed "Prince of Peace" should not even be capable of. And if those are the conditions, I don't want to be one of his followers. Little wonder there is such fear of being sent to hell--regardless of how well you behave--if something this insignificant will turn your messiah away from you.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2009