• In the Spotlight:

Ladies with acrylic nails - help!

I am getting acrylic nails filled every 2-3 weeks (as my nails grow) and the last few times the guy who is doing my nails is suggesting that I get a new set. I've had a couple of nails replaced (because I broke them), but I've had the majority of them on for about 3 months. I am wondering if he's trying to get me to spend more money or if there is a legitimate need to remove the old set and get a new one.

andyz_girl

Asked by andyz_girl at 3:36 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I havn't had nails done in a while but from what I remeber that is about the time to get them changed, cuz they start to look yellow and gross after a while
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:47 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I went to an amazing nail tech and had my nails on for about a year. I had to have some replaced which was normal but never did she recommend the whole set be replaced. Then again it would depend where you get them done. This was a nice salon and not just a nail place. Some of those places treat their customers like cattle. My nail tech was fantastic, my nails looked real, even though they were really long. No one could tell they were fake. They never turned yellow either.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 3:51 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• sometimes it is best to get a new set it depends on how you wear them like if you are a rough person sporty or what ever
    i do new sets every 4 months on me
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:00 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• i get a new set every 2 months. but i'm a hairstylist/colorist/gardener/home-remodeler. and i simply like the look of new nails. as long as the salon is clean, and the nail tech isn't drilling into your nail bed, nails really aren't that expensive. if you're breaking them inbetween visits (2-3wks), and aren't 'hard' on them in your daily life, they aren't being done correctly, or are being done cheaply.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:37 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I would get new ones by now, but if your nails are long enough they can just put the liquid nail ontop of your real nail without having to get a fake nail. This is what I do now that my nails are long enough, I just get a fill of the liquid nail ontop and it looks really nice and it's cheaper to do. You might want to take them off and see how they look.
    Anonymous

• It depends on how well they have been put on and how they look

If without polish they are very yellow or have cracks in them then yes I'd replace them; but a GOOD nail tech can put on a great set and just do fills without needing full removal and replacement.

IMO if there is no fungus growing under the acrylic (you'd see a dark patch); they don't need to be replaced; if you use polish rather than a french manicure then you don't care that they're yellow-ish...

I had nails on continuously for years only replacing occasional broken ones; and then I've gone other places where they broke left & right; I agree with thehairnazi above if that's the case; they're not being done well...however keeping your hands in water does make them more prone to lifting and breaking; so if you do dishes by hand vs dishwasher often or other chores where you hands are 'submerged' for periods of time; I'd suggest gloves...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I would definately get a new set. even for medical reasons. Water, dirt, bacteria all can get caught under there. Get them replaced as often as possible. I usually replace mine every 6 - 8 weeks.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for everyone's responses. I always get them painted so yellowing wouldn't bother me. I had fungus on one nail, but he removed that nail treated it and put on a new nail. The fungus has not returned. He said that the dark spots on my nails now were not fungus like the other one was though. Does this change anyone's opinion?
    andyz_girl

Answer by andyz_girl at 10:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I have had mind on for about 4 months but I get new nails replace when I need them or if I break them. I just went to the salon last week and had a couple of them replace because they need to. But sometimes I will just have the set taking off and then put a new set on.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 10:51 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• i get mine done every 2-3 weeks also and ive had on the same ones since new years..after so long the nail isnt even on anymore and its just your real nail with acrylic on top..well, if you have them cut down, thats what happens..i get mine cut down so they dont get too long and that way the dirt and stuff that collects at the tips gets cut off..i think he's just trying to get you to spend money..ive had ladies try to get me to do some expensive designs and all that crazy stuff even after i told them i just want a fill..theyre just trying to make thier money.
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 2:39 AM on Jul. 15, 2009