Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter has moved back home. She has a child. She needs a place of her own. Can anyone help?

No Job, no income. Help?
Sign a proud grandmom of a two year old.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Just for Fun

Answers (8)
  • If her child is two its not too early for daycare. Many cities offer subsidy for daycare if she has a low income. She needs to find a job first then look into daycare subsidy. Once she has the job and daycare arranged she can look into getting an apartment. Shes lucky she has her Mom to help. It's not easy but many women have managed with no help at all.

    Answer by Eliza34 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

  • She needs a J-O-B! Being with child and having no income, she is eigible for WIC, food stamps, job assistance and state provided child care.Give her some change,directions to DHS and direct her to the nearest bus stop asap.

    Answer by hotmom33 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

  • She needs a job... She is eligible for various types of assistance, but that doesn't mean she shouldn't get out there and do whatever she can to make her OWN money. If you can babysit for her, she could save lots of money by not putting the kid in daycare. And as a mother, you could help her a lot by NOT spoiling her. :)

    Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

  • What kind of help are you looking for? I think she needs to come up with a plan, with help from you about how she will support herself and the baby. In the meantime, find government help such as WIC and get her into a support group for moms with preschoolers. She needs to get her own support system going so she can be emotionally and financially, if not physically dependant for her own self esteem and your sanity, IMO. Hope that helps.

    Answer by manna1qd at 3:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

  • The best thing you can do for her is help her find assistance first. You can't just tell someone who thinks they have nothing and can do nothing to get a job and put their child in daycare. Some people lose direction when they need help. Help her find a job counselor, offer her help to go to the public assistance office. There she can get several services offered to her right there and then. Please be gentle, I've been in her position and it's so humiliating to not want help but NEED help.
    Hope this helps!

    Answer by SHELEBELLE at 5:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

  • have her contact the local DCBS...they have lots of programs to help, but they may not help her while living with you...go to the local housing authority and get her on a waiting list for a section 8 is based on income, so she can live there for free (i did for 3 years)..then she will be eligible for TAP (about $150/mo child support from state if dad isnt paying or is unknown), foodstamps (probably about $200/mo), local agencies can help pay her electric for the first month to get on her feet...she should be eligible for WIC (from the health dept, includes milk, eggs, cheese and peanut butter)...and there should be some programs to help her find a job, once she does Audubon (from DCBS) will help with daycare

    Answer by LoriaAnn at 6:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

  • She could apply for public housing at your local housing authority. Someone else mentioned section 8 but in many areas, there waiting list is longer and requires things like a job. Public housing rent is 30% of your gross income so if you have none, you have no rent and you would receive a utility check to help pay your utilities. In addition, if she moves in when she's not working and then gets a job, they would not count her income for 12 months and only count 50% of it the following 12 months. It's a way to help people get on their feet. She should also look into all the other services people have suggested such as Medicaid, WIC, food stamps, cash assistance, and child care subsidy. Good luck to you both!

    Answer by mnews at 7:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

  • Hi friend,
    I have been there and done that too. My daughter is now 27 and has 9 and 3 year old it's tough mom but there are no right anwswers except now you have to deal with that wacky mom/daughter + grand baby triangle, tough.
    Hang in there she will not want to be a mom in her mom's house do not enable her to shurk her mommy duties it is easy to do in your mother's house, besides she will not be thankful, my daughter was'nt. I see some great suggestions already posted, great advice. Is'nt Cafe mom's awesome? I will be here if ya ever need a shoulder.

    Answer by rosetoes at 10:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.