How important is school environment to you?

In our neighborhood the well of send the kids to private/catholic school and the lower class goes to the public school. We consider ourselves to be upper middle class but really want our son to go to public school. The public school kids are a bit more unruly, etc....I know this because I put my son in a summer program to test it out. Dh and I are now seriously considering catholic school due to the more structured environment. My son thrives with structure and does not do well with much "free time". He is going into 1st grade. How important is overall school environment to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Its everything to me. My kids have done private school as well as public school and even though the last two years my kids have been in an excellent public school system, I am still removing them. I am tired of public school, I am tired of the government, I am tired of all the crap that goes with it. This next year, I will be sending my oldest to a private school and my 3 youngest will be homeschooled. No, we are not well off, but we are middle class people and it will be hard to send our daughter to this private school but we are committed to giving her a more structered environment and better academics. I think that you should do whats best for your son, regardless of what everyone around you is doing. JMO
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:57 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I love our public school. My kids are thriving very well....
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:15 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• School enviroment is very important to us. That's why we homeschool!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:27 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• We are also upper middle class, and our neighborhood schools are very good, and sufficiently meet our childrens special needs. My sons are entering K and 2nd grade, and since it looks like my older one will be "aging out" of autistic support by 3rd grade (yay!), we are considering private school for middle (5th grade) through high school for him/them.

I think up until middle school, our schools are sufficient at teaching the core "reading, 'riting, 'rithmatic" concepts, but I fear how they will be received in mainstream public school classes in middle school between peer pressure, teacher's expectations, and the subtle liberal indoctrination (since my children while very intelligent are also VERY literal).

However, since I am a FT sub teacher in our school district, I will have the advantage of seeing from the inside just how the middle & high school classes are run, the materials taught, and the teacher's/admins attitudes!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:48 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• VERY IMPORTANT, AND WITH THE GOOD COMES THE BAD, AND IT IS ALL LESSONS OF LIFE, BUT ONE THING THAT PUBLIC SCHOOLS DO NOT PROVIDE IS A GOOD EDUCATION, AT LEAST NOT IN FLA. KIDS GO THROUGH THE WHOLE SYSTEM AND END UP GRADUATING WITH A READING LEVEL OF A 7 YEAR OLD, IF THEY ARE LUCKY. SCHOOL IS THE BASE FOUNDATION FOR COLLEGE AND MORE EDUCATION WHICH WE CAN NEVER GET ENOUGH OF.

Answer by older at 8:56 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• It's extremely important, considering that children are in that environment for 7-8 hours a day! And they will pick up and learn and use what they experience in that environment.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:16 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• It's important enough to me that I homeschool our kids. We have a lousy school system when it comes to environment and quality of education.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:21 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I attended both public and private school growing up so I'd like to share my perspective. When I transferred to a private school in 7th grade there was a definite improvement in the kids' behavior in class. But outside of class they were far worse. Many of the kids were disrespectful to the teachers and looked down on them. And drinking and drugs were much more prevalent in the private school than they ever were in my public school.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:37 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I ponder this question quite frequently because I am a public school teacher in NJ and I sent my daughter to private school. I made that choice because I thought private would be better . Then our school merged with all the Catholic schools in our area and I am not happy,but my daughter only has 1 more year before HS... I see what our public schools are doing and the academic level is far superior to my daughter's school, for sports and activities they are both the same, values are another issue.... in private school I see more cliques and superior attitudes through student behavior where in public school the students seem more down to Earth( yes, cliques exist but different categories ) again next year I will be asking this question....my daughter will be going to HS and I am not sure where to send her private vs public.
    pierresmom

Answer by pierresmom at 9:39 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• What I think is most important is to spend time at any school you are considering and evaluate that individual school. In the area where I teach now I would never send my child to a private school. They are even more underfunded than the public school and have much larger classes sizes. Plus, over my years teaching public school I know about a a half dozen teachers who were asked to leave my school for poor performance and then got jobs at private schools. Becauseprivate schools pay less many teachers prefer teaching at public school. Sometimes they end up at private schools because it's the only job they can get.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:41 AM on Jul. 11, 2009