how do i get stains out of colored carpet

iced tea ashtrays stains and god knows what else stains

mrspatterson20

Asked by mrspatterson20 at 7:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I'd start by renting or buying a carpet steam cleaner. There are MANY carpet cleaning products on the market that are for carpets--aren't they all colored?

It's best to use a hot soaking cloth first to dab up most of the spills. If the carpet is dry then you can pretreat the whole carpet prior to steam cleaning. It may take more than one cleaning, but it should remove all or most of the dirt.

If it's REALLY bad, just buy new carpet!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:01 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I found the Oxyclean carpet that comes in a spray bottle, will let you spot clean perfectly. You will spray it on, leave it for just a few minutes and the stains will literally disappear. Remember to take a damp/wet rag and clean up the Oxyclean, tho, b/c it will leave an oily type stain that won't show for a while.

I had white carpet in the condo we leased and I used this from stains that we walked in on the bottom of our shoes, and from leaks from the trash bags in the kitchen. It worked everytime without having to use a complete carpet machine.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:43 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• The best thing I've ever used to get stains out of carpet is Fantastik Oxy Power spray.  The stuff is amazing.  http://www.fantastik.com/carpet-stain-remover/

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2009