Habitat For Humanity Homes

My friend thinks I should try for a habitat home.

I have 3 children. One is handicapped. Our 3 bedroom rental house costs more than half my income. I have a foreclosure 3 years ago, and a few credit card bills on my credit from 7 years ago, which makes me scared to even apply. Half my current income is SSI. I also receive food stamps.

My friend says habitat can help me because I am low income, single parent, and I need a home with a wheel chair ramp. Right now I have to leave her chair outside and carry her in. Also, my current place is very small. One of my kids has a 4’x6’ closet for a “bedroom”.

Do I evenly remotely have a shot at a habitat house? I want better for my kids…. I’m just scared that they will laugh me out the room if I go and try to apply.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• You should apply! They will certianly not laugh at you. However one of the things that you are required to do is help build your house and others. It's the idea of giving back that drives the program. I worked with them as a teen. They are a great program, and I can't imagine that with your situation that you would be seen as someone that is undeserving. However if I were you I would spend a day or two doing some homework. Make sure the program is right for you!

http://www.habitat.org

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• They will not laugh at you! Habitat is very serious about helping people who need help. It will take time to get you to the point where you actually get a home. You have to put in a lot of volunteer time first. You will also still have a mortgage. You will pay for the land and the materials....the labor is volunteer. But they will find out what you can afford and handle and work from there. Also some areas are able to move more quickly than others. Where we are in FL, Habitat puts up a lot of homes. They have thrift stores (completely run by volunteers) and all of the proceeds go towards the purchase of cheap land to put the houses on. They buy up large tracts of cheap land and build as many houses as fast as they can. I have a friend who has a Habitat home and it is very nice. Her husband is also handicapped, so they built it to accomodate him.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:16 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• The only way you are going to find out is to apply and the sooner the better. I also have a friend with a habitat home and took a couple of years from the time she applied, got accepted and built the home. I do know the payments are not very high I think they might go by your income. Good luck. And theres nothing to be embarressed about. You did'nt have to ask anonymously.
    cherrera5

Answer by cherrera5 at 8:28 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• "And theres nothing to be embarressed about. You did'nt have to ask anonymously."

Thank you! I asked anon because sometimes a thread like this can get SO many negative responses and since I admit that my Daughter gets SSI and we get food stamps (oh yeah medicaid too!), I thought the "Cafe' Mom PA police" would come stomp on me just for being on PA.

Thanks again...

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:32 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Around here,Habitat says you have to be able to afford at least a 250/mon.power bill,so I'd be skrewed. Yeah,seems like I would be like you,except I'm the one who needs the ramp,not my child....Habitat around here is more based on what color you are;what country you are here from illegally.
    starrsun

Answer by starrsun at 11:22 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I think that you should apply. If they say no you are where you started from anyway. They may say yes or they may have advice on how you can qualify or what you can do.
    If you don't try you def. won't get it.

of course, that advice is easier to give than do. LOL
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:23 PM on Jul. 11, 2009