Obama Artist Admits to knowing better in Boston Vandalism Charges, but doing it anyway. Hope? or a Dope?

BOSTON (AP) -- The artist who created the ''Hope'' poster of President Barack Obama was sentenced to two years of probation Friday after pleading guilty to three vandalism charges. Prosecutors dropped 11 other charges.
Shepard Fairey pleaded guilty in Boston Municipal Court to one charge of defacing property and two charges of wanton destruction of property under $250, all misdemeanors.
The 39-year-old Los Angeles street artist, who became famous for plastering his posters and stickers throughout cities, must pay $2,000 to a graffiti removal organization and cannot possess tagging materials -- such as stickers or paste -- in Boston except for authorized art installations. He also must tell officials when he plans to visit Suffolk County, where Boston is located.
''I think that people should be responsible about sharing their art, and that's not a transition or an evolution of my philosophy,'' Fairey said outside court.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/07/10/us/AP-US-Obama-Poster-Artist.html?_r=2
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• If I read his quote correctly...he doesn't believe in being responsible for his art?

Then, he's a DOPE!

There are PLENTY of building walls, that I'm SURE city officials would approve of for him to create tasteful murals and display his artwork, why not do things the responsible way, and go through the proper channels to display your work, rather than do things in a "mischievous" way and pay penalties?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:34 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Saying he knows the laws that are in place. He has committed this crime numerous time before.  He could have used legal outlets and yet he still did it HIS way anyway? He encouraged the viral spread of the 'art' he allegedly stole from an Associated Press Photo? Yup... He's a DOPE! :o)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:02 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I think Shepard is wonderful for what he does. We are big fans in our house. He has made millions from his art and it all started with breaking the law. I for one think he is an inspiration. His art makes people think and smile.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• great. endorsing and supporting someone who is a defiant and habitual law breaker. what a fantastic example to set for your children.

we don;t live in communist china! shepherd can create art to his heart's content within the full scope of the law.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Hrmmmm, I would to take this opportunity and interject the facts of the case in order to better evaluate your statement anon....

He has made millions from his art that was stolen from copyrighted photos and it all started with breaking the law when he admitted he had perfectly good legal outlets to express himself.. I for one think he is an inspiration to those who hope to be dopes and think THEY are above the law and want to be prosecuted...       

;o)    

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• grly...........

high five                                 rolling on floor

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:36 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

Thats ok, my son comes from a long line of outlaws.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• He has made millions from his art that was stolen from copyrighted photos and it all started with breaking the law when he admitted he had perfectly good legal outlets to express himself.. I for one think he is an inspiration to those who hope to be dopes and think THEY are above the law and want to be prosecuted...

If he had not broke the law he probably would still be a starving artist. It made him stand out from the crowd. Thankfully, he has millions of fans and what you think of him matters as much as your vote for McCain did, LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

God forbid, you attempt to break the cycle! have you submitted your mother of the year application? lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jul. 11, 2009