• In the Spotlight:

How do I tell if fresh eggs are good or rotten? ("hen-sitting" and new to collecting eggs)

Does anyone know? I think I heard something about floating the egg in water, and if it sinks it's good, if it floats it's not?

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 9:35 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Food & Drink

• From:  http://www.helpwithcooking.com/egg-guide/fresh-egg-test.html 

Firstly, fill a fairly deep bowl with water and carefully lower the egg into the water. A very fresh egg will immediately sink to the bottom and lie flat on its side. This is because the air cell within the egg is very small. The egg should also feel quite heavy.

As the egg starts to lose its freshness and more air enters the egg, it will begin to float and stand upright. The smaller end will lie on the bottom of the bowl, whilst the broader end will point towards the surface.

The egg will still be good enough to consume if the egg fully floats in the water and does not touch the bottom of the bowl at all, it should be discarded, as it will most likely be bad.

A bad egg will also feel extremely light in weight and give off a pungent smell.

Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• smell it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Jul. 11, 2009