My 19 month old wont hardly feed himself with a spoon he can do it he is very stubborn he just wants to play with the food if I hand him a spoon I have to coach him along what can I do ?

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 9:49 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try a fork. My son has a difficult time with a spoon but loves using his fork. He still struggles but it's a lot better now. I would show him how to use it and then have it out at every meal to use when he is ready.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 9:53 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Every time it is meal time I just put a fork and a spoon by their plate and just showed them how to use them by example. But the more you stress over it the longer it will take him. That is what I did, but I started that at like 6 months. Just give it time
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 10:02 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Put the food in front of him, and then find something to do nearby, where you are within sight and can watch him, but out of reach. Let him sit there a while, and he'll get hungry enough to feed himself, whether with his hand or a utensil.

Encourage games and toys that develop motor skills required to hold an eating utensil.

Have a family member or friend over to eat, and make sure he can see them. He may decide that so and so is so cool because they can eat with a utensil that he wants to be like them and do so as well. That's what got my son doing it..he wanted to be grown up.

GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:02 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• my daughter is the same way she has an easier time with a fork but all and all she rather use her fingers. and im not that worried about it when they want to be grown up and use utensils they will my boys used there fingers till around 2.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 11:51 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• If he's eating, I wouldn't sweat the spoon issue. I just always gave my daughter a toddler spoon and fork at every meal and if she used her hands, I was fine with that as long as she was eating. Eventually she used the fork and spoon on her own every time.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My grandson is 19 months old and loves using a spoon and fork, but that is his nature. He plays with his food, also. Usually it ends up on the floor.

With six grandchildren and four children I have found that eating is one area that a small child has control over. The have the ability to make the decision to eat or not eat and can use meal time as a battleground.

My advice to my son is to give his son a little food at a time so that when it ends up on the floor the mess and waste are limited. The child won't starve.

At 19 months utensils are introduced, Having been a high school teacher, I'm not sure how many teenagers have even mastered the use of a spoon and fork. Pick your battles, mealtime can be heaven or hell.
    chocolateroses

Answer by chocolateroses at 12:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Good answer, chocolateroses!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:27 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My 2 1/2 year old doesn't really feed herself with a spoon either. She tries, but usually ends up just holding the spoon in one hand and eating with the other.
    usafwife314

Answer by usafwife314 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• All you can do is give him the fork and spoon to use and he'll use it when he is ready. You can't force it. It's ok that he still like to eat with his hands. They like to discover texture and temperature this way. You have showed him how to use them and he has showed you that he knows how, he just doesn't prefer to all of the time and that's ok. Every once in a while drop in to help him take a bite with his fork or spoon and then leave him alone. You could also try different toddler silverwear to see if he likes something different, they make so many different styles. My son really likes to use adult size silver wear and really plates when we go out to eat.
    Anonymous