what is safe to take while breastfeeding?

I have a 2 year old son and a 20 wk old son who I'm bf'ing and my 2 year old got a cold yesterday. Now I'm really sick and throat all swollen. What is safe to take while breastfeeding? Or do I need to stop? Can he get sicker from my milk? He already has a little cold starting!

VincentVictor

Asked by VincentVictor at 10:17 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/aap-approved-meds.html

This gives you a list of safe things to take. :)
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 10:25 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Don't stop breastfeeding!

From http://www.familyresource.com/pregnancy/breastfeeding/when-a-nursing-mother-gets-sick

"Continuing to breastfeed will help protect your baby from the infection, because your body produces antibodies to the specific bug that is causing the infection, and you pass them on to the baby in your milk. Often, a breastfed baby will be the only member of the family who doesn't get sick. If he does get sick, he will usually have a much milder case than the older members of the family."
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Keep breastfeeding and don't take anything if you can help it. Even if deemed "safe", do you want to take that chance?

Use home remedies, but if it gets too bad, see your doctor!! Don't self medicate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Keep nursing. Your body will produce a defense for the kids in your milk.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• you child cannot get sick from your breast milk. call you doctor first and ask whats safe.
    ryansmommy07

Answer by ryansmommy07 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Most doctors don't really know what is safe and what is not! They are NOT educated on breastfeeding unless they do it on their own. Ask an IBCLC. The kellymom site is very good because it is put together by one.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 2:29 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• There is a group on here called Medication and a Mother's Milk that can help you. You don't have to join the group to ask a question. They helped me once when I needed to take a medication and didn't know if it was safe to breastfeed.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 3:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• You should not stop breastfeeding during a time of illness in your household, just when your little ones need the antibodies that are in your breast milk the most.

You can only take medicines that are approved for pregnancy when you are breastfeeding. That means Tylenol and cough drops for your throat. The only antihistamine that is approved is Zyrtec. The only decongestant that is approved is Sudafed. You can use a saline nasal spray to help your sinuses feel more comfortable. You and your little ones can also use a vaporizer.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2009