ADHD tween girl has no friends in Broward County,FL

Hi everyone.I have a problem and am completely lost as to what the answer-if any-is.I have an 9 1/2 yr old daughter who is very friendly and nice and what not...yet she has ADHD so she can get alittle "crazy".She has no friends.Yes she makes/has friends at school but nothing outside of school (so you can imagine how bored she is this summer).She is involved in Girl Scouts and has done soccer for the past 2 yrs...in other words we try and get her out there interacting with other kids her age.There are kids her age where we live but not the kind you'd want your kid hanging around with (they run around pulling the buildings fire alarms,etc).She does have one friend,she's little younger than her.Its not a "healthy" friendship as all they do is fight when they are together due to her "friends" behavior (crying,whininh,tateling,etc).She's always asking to go over and play with her..WHAT AM I GOING TO DO???MY DAUGHTER IS VERY LONELY.

Leah954

Asked by Leah954 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Have you tried things like gymnastics or something? I don't know where in Broward you live but that's where I'm from and growing up my parents had us in gymnastics, I did soccer, my brother played hockey, and we did a lot of things with our church. If you'd be interested in her being a part of a church group I know that our church is doing VBS next week I believe (ill be there w our son so when we get back home from our trip ill know the dates and time if you want them) PM me if your interested
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Do none of the school friends live close enough for a play date?
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My son had that problem too. He does not get along with many kids his own age (13) but he gets along great with kids younger and older than he is. His doctor prescribed team sports as part of his treatment for ADHD. He has learned to get along with kids his age, work as a team member and have fun. He doesn't have many friends outside of sports or school and he is fine with that. I would recommend group activites that interest her.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Aww hon,

I am feeling very bad for your situation,
    Be blessed to know that she is not the only child without some sort of friend,
    You must try and make her open up to others, around your area and closer to home
    If she has friends at school ...she can indeed make friends anywhere...
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 12:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• how about having her go to a summer camp. I think she should have loads of fun there. playing games swimming, going on camping trips. arts and crafts .some might even do drama . shows and at the end of camp the children put on a show for the parents.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 3:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I have simliar problem but my daughter has autism, she seems to have friends at school too but no kids to play with around the neighborhood......most of them just want to take her stuff and leave...yes its lonely but we find things to do......
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 2:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Don't pressure her or make her feel bad. I was said to have have had A.D.H.D . When I was little too.jUST TAKE IT REAL SLOW AND NEVR PANIC ABOUT IT. bE A FRIEND TO HER AND LET THE REST FALL INTO PLACE.
    marievegan

Answer by marievegan at 5:46 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Landensmommy411....I have put her into Soccer,gymnastics,karate (she got bored with it,every time she recieved a stripe on her belt,the instructors just kept repeating the same stuff so she grew bored FAST.i DON'T BLAME HER).I was going to sign her up for city cheerleading but it was in the city next to us (Parkland) so we'd have to pay the $155 non-resident fee and the cost of cheerleading ($275) so thats a no-go.I don't "push" her to go and play with others,she's smart enough to know if she wants to play with that person or not.We go to the park,the pool in our complex,etc.Soccer was kinda "crazy" last year....everyone running in 9 diff. directions,the coach wasnt great,etc.
    She's a very friendly kid-will befriend anyone.We live in Coral Springs,and at times it can get a little "cliqueish".I just want her...like all parents....to be happy.I know she gets lonely.she just switched schools in March due to us moving....
    Leah954

Answer by Leah954 at 7:56 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• It sounds like you dont want her with other kids that you dont approve of which is understandable but if she has no friends you may need to pick one that isnt quite so bad. Also it could be that other kids are uncomfortable by her craziness which may need to be managed. Teach her yoga or meditation to control the craziness impulses. My son is 12 and has ADHD as well as behavioral issues from being sexually assaulted when he was younger. It works well for him.
    weirdjojo

Answer by weirdjojo at 7:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Find parents of other kids with ADHD in your area. Maybe your doctor can help you find a support group. Maybe you can organize get togethers with others who share your daughter's diagnosis.
    jaybird110

Answer by jaybird110 at 7:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2009