Clogged Milk Duct/Mastisis in DOG

How can we relieve a clogged milk duct in a dog before getting antibiotics? My mom's dog had a litter of puppies and since they were 8 weeks, they have been sold gradually over a 2 week period. There were 8. The last two went two days ago and this morning she woke up with an enormous, rock hard boob. She was treated for this about a week after she had this litter(this is her 3rd litter in 4-5 years) and went on antibiotics. She cannot get in to see the vet until Moday, so what can we do you help her out until then? It is rock hard and very hot to the touch. Can we do the same thing with her as I do with myself?-warm compress, massage, etc. And no milk will come out when we try to "milk" her! ANything you know about this would be a great help!!

MadisonsMom0408

Asked by MadisonsMom0408 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Pets

• I would do the exact same thing. Also, one of you hold her down and the other take the pinky side of your hand and rub from the side down toward the center of her nipple. It should ooze very thick milk. Keep doing that and a warm compress, etc. After this is cleared up, you should wrap her very VERY tight with an ACE bandage to help stop lactation. Good luck!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I honestly don't know the answer but I would probably do what you do for a clogged duct for yourself. It couldn't hurt. Is there an emergency vet clinic you could call and ask what to do until Monday? I would also try googling it and see what you get.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:55 AM on Jul. 11, 2009