Is it true...

That part of the Protestant religion is based on "protesting" things about the Catholic religion? Part of their beliefs are completely based on what they don't believe to be right about the Catholics church?

Hopefully that makes sense. Had a conversation with somebody about his and that's what they made it sound like. Maybe you can explain it better, that just sounds weird to me to base part of a religion on disagreeing with another, but maybe I didn't understand that part. If it is, is it the only one like that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There seem to be some good answers here:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090330084742AAqZ2vd

And here:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=355393
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Hmmm, I don't know but will check back later to see what answers you get.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• IDK... I think I might google some on this, and answer again later.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:51 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Yes it is true.  King Henry VIII protested the Catholic church mainly because of their stance in regards to divorce but power played a big part as it always does with religion.  He started the Church of England and ever since the reigning monarch is the head of the church with the Arch bishop of Canterbury being the head cleric.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:52 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I haven't actually studied this myself, just heard from people here and there, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but here is the way I understand it. The early Catholic church was extremely strict. Among other things, commoners (non clergy) weren't allowed to actually read the bible. If you or I wanted to know God's veiw on something, we had to ask a priest to interpret the bible for us. Protestants began as a group of seperatists who felt that the bible should be available to everyone. They had other views that contradicted with the early church, but that was one of the main ones.

I'm sure a google search on the history of the protestant religion would give you more accurate information than I have.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:55 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• It's true but there is so much more to it that just that. Take a look at Marten Luther and his reformations. It help fuel the spark of reformations that failed to change the Holy Mother Church. A quick search on Google with bring up enough history to keep you reading for a few days. Politics, the charisma of certain preachers and general unrest with the Church along with other factors all contributed to the historic split . It wasn't just a "protest" against the Church. It was an attempted reformation that split the Church instead.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:57 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• From what I know the main grievances against the Catholic church were the selling of indulgences (the clergy would basically sell you a ticket to heaven, no matter how bad you were if you had the money they said you were alright), and the fact that the clergy had so much power. They were very corrupt at the time and that is what led Martin Luther to hang up the 95 theses, or 95 things wrong with the Catholic church's actions on the door of the church. But from what I know about it as a Christian, it wasn't a religious movement going against another, but Christian people trying to bring the religion back to how it was originally meant to be and to remove the corruption. We sometimes forget that the early church mentioned in the bible and other historical records was vastly different from what the Catholic church turned it into back then, the protestants were protesting what it had become, not the religion as a whole.
    Momincollege23

Answer by Momincollege23 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Protestant denominations came to be because of some problem they saw with the church they broke off from. At first it was the Catholic church (in Western Europe), and later from other Protestant religions. The disagreements shouldn't be viewed as "you suck we are going to be totally separate from you" (though that was a popular sentiment early on), but more as "you are mistaken, God wants us to..."
    Compare it to the different kinds of protests during the civil rights movement. Some groups were protesting with violence & hatred, other people said "no, no the way to get change is through positive actions" & worked within a system or by endorsing nonviolent protest. Is being a part of the nonviolent protests mostly about rebelling against the other groups? Or mostly about creating change in what you see as a better way?
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• yes it's true..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Yep, all true. They Protastant Church was an off shoot of The Catholic Church. The founders (Martin Luther for one) didn't believe that the Catholic Church was doing what it should have been and built a new Church...

If you every get the chance you should watch Martin Luther In Search of History... Awesome special...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2009