How long did your little one cruise before they walked?

My son is almost 13 months old, and has been pulling up and cruising since he was 10 months. He will walk with us holding one hand, but just will not let go. He's shown that he can stand without holding on, but doesn't do it often or for very long. He's even starting to climb on things.

I'm not worried yet, just thought I would see if anyone else went through this waiting game.

SamanthaAgain

Asked by SamanthaAgain at 10:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd stood alone at 7 months and it took until about 10 months for her to really start cruising, but she took her first step about a week after me just holding one of her hands and two weeks later she took off and has been ever since. its all different but it will happen!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:05 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My daughter was running through the house at nine months old.

My son on the other hand, at 13-14 months would only walk while he was holding on to something or someone. If he was walking with me and I let go of his hand, he would stand there for a second and then throw himself down on his bottom. Then, he would scream, as if I did something awful to him. It was actually kinda funny... a "hey ya'll watch this" kinda moment. He got over it around 15 months and started walking on his own.

My friends thought because he was the “baby” at the time, he was milking it for all it was worth!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:06 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• my daughter started cruising about 10 months too and just started walkin on the first of this month and does very well. some kids are more cautious than others and that fine. but if you feel there is a delay or problem it doesnt hurt to ask your doctor or contact your local school district and see about gettin services. i started physical therapy in june and only 5 visits b4 she was walking so determined that she was one of the more cautious ones. from the way it sounds your little one is cautious jess could stand by herself and climb just waited on the walking and she NEVER fell when she decided to finally to go on her own.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 11:07 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• oh and if you want tips in helping your son email me and i can tell you what my physical therapist told me to do with my daughter really easy things that can be incorporated with play time
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 11:10 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Thanks bonnie I'll pm you right now!
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 11:12 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My son cruised forrrrrrrrrrrever! Then one day at about 14 months he took a step. Then another. Then he'd do about 3 at a time for a week. Now he's 15 months and he's trying to run.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 11:54 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• LOL mine didn't cruise at all....She just took off walking all of a sudden at 18 months.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My daughter started crawling at 9 months and didnt walk until 14 months. So I wouldnt worry!
    AnaMaria624

Answer by AnaMaria624 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My son was walking at 10 1/2 months. He started trying on his own here and there at 10 months. Every child is really different with what they are comfortable with. Your son is perfectly with in normal range and he'll be walking all by himself with in a couple of weeks. Sometimes it has to do with how much time we spend encouraging them to walk and mostly it's just how comfortable they are with their balance and taking the plunge.
    Anonymous