Do you think that a woman's decision of having more or less children will depend on the number of siblings that the woman has?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes. I think we start our decision making from our childhood experiences and then go from there. I notice alot of women have the same number their mother had. Others have more or less depending on their experiences at home (less so she can give attention she never got in a big family or more because she was a lonely only child for instance.) So much influences that decision but for me, I wanted four (I only had one brother) but I started late and felt I didn't have the time or money to do for more than two. My husband could have passed on the second one and he wasn't pressing for a boy so I ended up with two gaughters.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 5:15 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• in my case, yes! DH too..... we were both only children and found it lonely so we had our kids very, very close together so that they'd be best friends. Luckily it worked.... they're extremely good friends and loving with one another. In a year or so we'll have another "batch" (lol) back to back again and then be done (probably)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:13 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My family was a big family, and I wanted only a couple children. My best friend was an only child, and she wanted a big family.

Answer by Bmat at 11:13 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I was raised an only,so yeah,I wanted a bigger family.God saw fit not to let that happen for me,tho.
    starrsun

Answer by starrsun at 11:16 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I remember asking my mom for a brother or sister, when I was a little girl and she'd look at me like I left the psycho ward or something.  Back in my 20's, I use to want 3 pairs of twins...identical twin boys, identical twin girls, and fraternal twins (boy and girl).  People would look at me "sideways". LOL!  As I got into 30's, I just got to a point that if it's meant for me to have kids, then it's meant to be and obviously it was meant to be.  I have my daughter, but I was going to stop with her, then my son came along and he was a surprise.  I have my blessings and I'm done.

mamadee1971

Answer by mamadee1971 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I think it depends on things that's happened to a prospective parent in their lives from family and society that directs us towards focusing on a certain number of kids. Each of my aunts/uncles and my parents too all had two kids each. I grew up thinking wow weird that this family is like China - population restricted and its' not even China. I wanted kids somehow in my life in a number of volunteer, work and parenting ways. I've been blessed with having three kids and experienced birth three times. After my third we decided no more. I wanted kids in my life somehow to teach them better than I was taught. And in different ways in different parts of my life I've been blessed to let kids in addition to my own know of their own worthiness to live.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I have a younger brother and sister, and YES I would like to have at least three kids. But, I won't have another child until I am married or at least in a committed reltionship with a man and we're living together. I don't want to be a single mom to TWO children.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:44 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Maybe if you're octomom hahaha j/k

I based my decision on number of children because of my body. I had to have two c-sections and I also have the RH factor with my kids. I took the rohgam shots with both, but my second son was jaundice because of our incompatible blood types. So I decided that two would be it for me.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:50 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I was an only, hubby one of 4, we both only wanted two children....for financial reasons! As it turns out both of our boys have autism, and I was pregnant with our 2nd child before we found out about the 1st one's developmental issues--they're 23 months apart.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:51 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• There are 2 of us, and I am soon to have my 4th. My brother only has 2. Mom came from a family with 3 kids, and dad from one with 9 and they only had 2.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 11, 2009