If my daughter is already 20lbs can i switch her to forward facing before she turns one?

To switch her around does she have to be 20lbs and one years old? or just 20lbs? what are the rules/laws?

bluerose26

Asked by bluerose26 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it depends on where you live. I never switch until they are a year old. Of course people all have different opinions on when it can be done.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 11:45 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• 20lbs AND 1 year old... it is safer to be rear facing.... the longer the beter
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:47 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Its 20 pounds AND 1 year.
    usafwife314

Answer by usafwife314 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't recommend it. Although, to be completely sure, just call your state police. They know all of the safety rules and regulations (and are even willing to teach you how to properly install a car seat, if you think you need it). When my oldest daughter was a baby, I called them with a quesion, and they were very helpful.
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Why in the world would you want to? It is so much safer to rear face for as long as possible. 20 and 1 year is our states minimum requirement. Then 4 and 40 before they move to a booster. But these are minimums.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My understanding is that an infants neck muscles still are not developed enough to withstand a jerk while facing forward--their heads are still too heavy in comparison with the rest of their bodies. There are car seats that accommodate larger babies that still need to face backward and will grow with them into the toddler stage to be able to face forward.
    chocolateroses

Answer by chocolateroses at 11:49 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• also just because a cop tells you something or shows you how ti install a carseat, dosent mean its the correct way, not every cop is a liscenced tech,
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:51 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Not yet. It's 20lbs & 1 yr, whichever comes LAST! She's a cutie-patootie!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:53 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I put my son front facing at around 7 months only because he outgrew his other seat and I wasnt comfortable with how the britax sat rear facing but then again hes a really big boy hes almost 2 now and 42 inches tall and 40 lbs so .....
    ryansmommy07

Answer by ryansmommy07 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My son is 21lbs and I am going to turn him around plus get a new carseat cause he is out growing the one he has.His only 10 months
    Firsttimemom252

Answer by Firsttimemom252 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2009