This was in polls... But I think it's better served here...

Should religion play a roll in our government and is it actually possable to seperate the two?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:47 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• no it shouldn't be part of our government, and yes government and religion can be separate.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I believe strongly in a separation of church and state. While I am Christian, I feel that those who are not do not deserve to have Christianity in their daily lives. Our country wasn't founded on Christianity, yet some people seem to be trying to rewrite history and say that it was. While our founding fathers were deists - they believed in a higher power, not specifically the Christian God - that is rather vague when it comes to naming one national religion for all.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Of course it is possible to separate the two & it is important to do so. The government's only role should be protecting the right of all to practice their spiritual life the way they choose on private grounds. What people often don't realize is that what they fight to keep the government in can come back to hurt them when it changes from their way to someone else's.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• No it shouldn't, and yes it is. The questions is... WILL it ever be seperate? From what I've seen a lot of christians on this site say (mostly on the politics board), it IS happening and they are "losing their rights in this country" (actual quote) but to be honest I haven't noticed much difference aside from the 6 states that have legalized gay marriage. The day we have a Jewish or Mormon president, I'll know we're getting somewhere.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I do think it's possible to seperate religion from government. Those who are in congress and who get voted into Presidency ect ect.

I think it would be difficult ...close to impossible to seperate religion from politics. Too many people mix them. They fight against abortion on the basis that God must be pro-lifef. Others fight for the right to reserve natural habitat because (like all life) it is sacred. And yes, i'm generalizing.

So ...because politics is part of government decisions and choices it would not be possible to fully and truly seperate religion from government. ...But on a professional level within the government it is very much possible.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My thing is, religions, teach morals, the fact that "God" was put in certain important documents, wasn't trying to sway people to any one religion, however, at the time, or founding fathers were mostly Christian, Puritan, or Pilgrims, or Catholic, so they figured "God" covered all those without showing preference to any religion in particular, which is what they meant by separation of church an state. They "assumed" everyone at the very least believed in God, which was probably true, no matter who God was to anyone. So it makes perfect sense to leave it there. Now, probably beginning in the late 70's is when people started "disbelieving" but they were still a minority, a small, quiet minority. No one worried. Now everyone i open about everything, so they believe a historical document should be changed as with the times. Even with "God" on the dollar bill, or in the pledge of allegiance, they are still not forcing anyone ....
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• to any one religion..IMO..they are just resistant to change as most our government officials are either slaves to tradition, or as I see it, religiously superstitious, which basically means they don't want to take God out of there for fear they be wrong and something bad might happen.. As long as no one says that it's not ok to be a nonbeliever, I think we're still good and shouldn't worry too much
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• No, it shouldn't. I sometimes wish I could go back in time and erase religion from history. Imagine how many lives would have been saved.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I think they should keep them separated and yes I believe it is possible.

personally I think we should fire everyone in office and start over anyways, they have their own agenda's that aren't helping us out. Sux but it's how it is now.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My thing is, religions, teach morals...
    --------------------------------------------------

Everything in your post is wrong. God wasn't put in certain documents...the only document to mention 'God' is the Declaration of Independence and it doesn't say anything about a Christian God...in fact, it points more towards a pagan God...as in 'nature's God' and 'creator'. Finally, NO document we have mentions Jesus Christ...and last time I checked, he was kind of important to Christians. As for them 'assuming' everybody worshipped the same God...again, wrong. There were many different religions and sects operating in the states. Also, the founding fathers knew what a religious government looked like as they were fighting one...if they meant for this country to be a religious one, they would have specifically said so...but they didn't. In fact, they worked against relgion. Jefferson was the first one to break up a...
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 12:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2009