fruits or veggies baby foods first?

My 4 month old has already been on rice cereal for 2 weeks now and is on enfamil A.R. so also has it in his milk. So I figure its time to venture on to something else. What is recommended I start with? Fruits or veggies? And any certain one? Thanks

c2customs

Asked by c2customs at 11:49 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Veggies, but I wouldn't recommend it until 6 months. If you do fruit first baby may never take veggies because of the sweetness of the fruit.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I agree to wait until 6 months. Start with yellow/orange veggies (carrots/squash/sweet potatoes) and you can mix the rice cereal in them, if you need to thicken them up or tone the flavor down. Some veggies have a stronger flavor (green beans, for sure). Also, you can mix the rice in the fruits when you get that far. Don't they grow up so fast?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:57 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Veggies first and don't give too much in the yellow veggies. You will turn them orange.

Anonymous

• Stop giving him milk! It's way to early for that.

As for the food...buy some of everything, put it in the cupboard in alphabetical order and go for it.

There is no reason to do veggies first, no reason to do fruit first...just introduce one new food at a time for several days watching for a reaction. It's an old wives tale that they won't eat veggies if you give fruit first. I've done it veggie first, a veggie then a fruit, and alphabetical order. There is no difference in any eating habits.

Buy stage 2 jars and give half a jar (from a bowl) at a time. It's much more cost effective and the only difference between 1 and 2 is the size of the jar and availability of combos.
    Anonymous

• It's better to wait until arond 6 months. Why are you wanting to rush into foods?

Banana is a good first food. Then wait a week and sweet potato. Wait a week avacodo.
    Then start meats for their iron value.

There is great info about starting solids at kellymom.com
    It's a breastfeeding site but the info applies to all babes
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2009