When kids do attend public school (or private) what level of parental responsbility on academic and behavior issues do you expect?

What is the parent's role?

Teachermom01

Asked by Teachermom01 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• I think parental involvement is EXTREMELY important in keeping their kids on the right track with school. The school is responsible for teaching the kids to the best of their ability (during the school day), testing their knowledge fairly, and offering extra help to those who might need it. But once that bell rings, it is up to the students themselves and the parents to make sure that homework gets done, the tests get studied for, and if the child needs any extra help that the parents can't offer, that they gets their little butts into whatever programs the school is offering for that sort of thing. If a parent does not show any interest or care in their child's schoolwork, it is likely the child won't either.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I just wrote an article about this:   How to Get Involved in your  Child's Education

The parent's role is to be there and always be involved.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• where im at the classes are bigger so i also give them opportunity to learn at home. the parent is always the child's first teacher. i dont want my child falling behind in school so i get the work books that correspond to their grade level and also go to sites that have printable worksheets and games. i just got some computer games free from a local teacher that she used in her class room.( she got new games this year)
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 12:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I am very involved with my children's education. My DS really struggled in first grade this past year & his teacher & I worked together to get him caught up. He ended up passing with flying colors & his teacher & I credit each other for getting him through. By the mid-point of the year, we were on a first name basis & I had her personal cell phone number. It is so important for parents to be involved. If the parent doesn't care about school, why would you expect your child to care? I have 4 children in elementary school & 1 in high school & I am there for every program, every parent day. Last Christmas, I attended 3 choir concerts in 4 days!! I think the teachers do their best but it is up to the parents to make sure their child gets a great education.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I take total responsibility for my children's behavior when they are with me or not. I also keep in close touch with my kid's teachers to make sure that my kids are staying "on track" at school.

I think parents that don't take responsibility and don't get involved with their child's schooling are pathetic.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My kid's not old enough to be in school yet, but he'll be going to public school here. My intention is to be as involved as I can be without making his teacher hate my guts. The way I see it, we've taken away the teacher's authority to maintain discipline in her classroom (for fear of being sued for any little thing) and we've taken away her ability to teach anything that's not going to help the kids pass standardized tests, so I'm going to have to be as active as I can be if I want my kid to grow up smart and not be a jerk.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Parents should always be involved! My husband is due to leave in August for Iraq, and he's going to talk to our daughters teachers before he leaves and leave his email with them so that they can still have a means of communication with him.
    usafwife314

Answer by usafwife314 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• After 13 years of teaching with hundred of kids of different ages and ranges of ability I have to say that I have never had one child with involved parents who was unable to meet standards. I have had kids who struggled, but by working closely with the parents the children are able to make huge gains.

On parent confrence nights I schedule each parent and send home multiple reminders.  Without fail, it is the parents of the kids who are struggling who don't come or make any effort to get in contact.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• This year one of my students failed to meet promotion requirements. Very bright, great reader, good scores on standardized tests, but...horrible behavior, no homework ever, wouldn't study for tests. When I called her parents the father told me I had the wrong number. The grandmother told me the mom "would try to call me back if she had time." I sent home a registered letter telling them their daughter would fail. No response. The child had to administratively placed in 7th grade. I hope she makes it to high school before she drops out.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• On the other hand, I had another student I worked with in a tutoring program when she was in 3rd grade. She was at least a year behind and barely passed to fourth. Her dad and I worked out a system for doing homework and reading at home. Her whole attitude changed when her dad realized that just talking to her about school every day was important. As a 6th grader she was making the honor roll and taking advanced courses. She still has more academic difficulties than the other girl, but her dad makes sure she puts in the effort to keep up and excel. That's something that I can't do as a teacher without help from home.

When parents put in the effort, kids see school is a priority and they do much better

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2009