Step- Sisters?

I babysit 6 and 8 year old step-sisters and the 6 year old adores the 8 year old but I really don't think the 8 year old likes her. She was gone for 2 weeks and the 6 year old missed her so much, but when she finally came home she pretty much ignored her. What can I do to make the 6 year old play by herself instead of always trying to play with her sister and getting her feelings hurt or just bossed around?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How long have they been step-sisters? This sounds like fairly normal sibling behavior. My boys are 5 and 7 and act that way. Try to encourage the older to be nicer, and the 6 year old will play on her own when she has enough of the bad treatment.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• They have been living in the same house since February of last year.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like normal sibling behavior. Honestly, even with my 3, I have to tell the younger ones to leave the older ones alone at times. My stepson gets overwhelmed and has learned (mind you he's 12) to tell the younger 3 when he is done and needs alone time. Yes, they cry, they say it's not fair, and I say I'm sorry, how about you go play alone. Sounds cold, but honestly, it is a lesson that needs to be learned, everyone at some point needs alone time.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 3:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• wow sounds like me and my sister. I'm the youngest. Let her work it out on her own

Answer by admckenzie at 2:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2009