when can i give my son juice?

he's only 5 months,

marcelina08

Asked by marcelina08 at 12:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• *shrugs* I started giving my son juice early, but I diluted it quite a bit. And it was really mainly when he was constipated, but it keeps him a lot more regular too. :] And fiber.
    But all in all, I'd say whenever. Just dilute.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 12:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't until around 8 months if I gave it at all (we did away with it since it is mainly sugar and empty calories). Oh yes and in a cup not a bottle.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I gave my daughter juice at 4 months.. just apple tho! No grape or orange or anything really citrusy!!
    :) But its prolly not a good idea if you baby is a lil heavier, because juice has alot of sugars!!
    LiLMama923

Answer by LiLMama923 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• my daughter gets it now
    she is 2 1/2 months but our dr told us to since we live in the desert they dont want her dehydrated also she gets constipated because the affect the heat has on her body
    we give 1 oz of water and 1/2 juice as our dr said
    my son was drinking jucie tho probably around 6 months or so
    we didnt live in las v egas when he was a baby lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• oh ya i give her apple juice BTW lol
    Mrs.Owen86

• We started juice (diluted 50/50) at 6 months at the same time we introduce a sippy cup and got rid of the bottle.
    Anonymous

• I gave my son juice at like 3 months diluted and only small amounts, but at 5 months if he drinks it why not? Its good for him.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My 18 month old has never had juice. It is just sugar and empty calories. He gets milk and water. He LOVES water.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 2:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I'm a health educator and I have a 9 month old grandson that lives with me. There is no consensus of opinion about when to start juice and what kind of juice to give. What there is agreement on is that it should not be before 6 months (babies should be only breastfed until 6 months) and that juice should not be fed in a bottle with a nipple. Juice should be juice not juice drinks, punch, pop, soda, ect.

A concern is toddlers can drink too much juice and take in too many calories, start getting overweight, and that can start them on the path of lifelong obesity. Another concern is cavities.
    A third concern is that the actual fruit is more nutritious than drinking juice.

From what I have read from a variety of sources I think the best time to start juice would be between 6 and 8 months. White grape juice is the best first juice. Apples, applesauce, and apple juice can cause bowel problems.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• WIC started giving me checks for Gerber 100% fruit juice when DD was six months old but i started giving it to her when she was 3 or 4 months. And i've given her lots of diffrent flavors all of them were fine. She's fine, not overweight or blah blah blah whatever. As long as it's 100% juice and has no sugar or anything added all my daughters doctors, including a nutritionist, have said it's fine to give her 2-4 ounces a day and I give it to her in a bottle or a Sippy cup (GASP!!!!) Just brush baby's teeth and gums twice a day to prevent tooth decay.
    sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2009