Learning activities for a 4yr old???

So My son turned 4 in april and before that I taught him how to spell his name, how to spell mom & dad, how to count,well he learned how to count at age 2, his address, how to use the phone in case of an emergency like how to dial 911, he knows his color and all that good stuff and he's starting to write his name and really remember which letters are which and he knows where some states are like east coast ,west coast that kind of thing but lately he just doesn't really care to learn or gets frustrated really easily so are there some fun activities that I can do with him that he'll find fun? What are you momma's doing with your 4yr olds, does he sound behind at all, Should I be trying to teach him alot more or just wait for him to come to me??? Thanks so much ladies.

Mamamegan

Asked by Mamamegan at 12:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Like you don't know he's ahead.

He doesn't want to learn any more because he's burned out already. Fun activities? LET HIM PLAY.
    Anonymous

• I do let him play, I ask him when he wants to do things and if he says yes we sit down and do them. I'm definately not forcing him to learn anything, I just wanted to know what other 4 yr olds know and what they're doing.
    Mamamegan

Answer by Mamamegan at 12:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• "Other" 4 year olds are learning to recognize their letters, learning to recognize their numbers and count to 10, learning basic shapes and colors. They are starting to write their names, recognizing their first and last name, memorizing their address and phone number and making friends.

My two (5 and 3) are way beyond that, but they have tested with higher than average intelligence. (3 year old is reading) They are also at the high end of the Autism Spectrum.
    Anonymous

• Listen to his signals. He may be getting burned out on learning all the time. There are some great websites. Just google them. Play is the biggest assest for a child his age. Everything is Play. Lakeshore has some great items you might want to look at. He's only 4. Be careful...for when he gets into kindergarten, he will be bored. Ask him what he wants to do. Reading is great. Take him to a bookstore and let him pick out the books he wants. My son loved going to bookstores because they have kid size furniture and etc. Take him to a park with ducks that he can feed. Learning can be more than just sitting at a table and doing worksheets. Go to a craft store. They have colored sand and you can do really cool artwork with colored sand. Don't forget the glitter, feathers, and such and ask him to make something. Then ask him what is it. Write it for him.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 3:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Ps..buy a feather duster and paints and let him paint with a feather duster...it's funny to them and cool.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 3:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• my 4yo is also working on writing his name (he's having trouble with e lol). i teach him about whatever interests him (ie. he was facinated learning about the stages of a frog's life..... we're learning about butterflies now). i try to teach him with everyday objects so he doesn't feel like he's learning lol. he is also starting to read simple words (no, on, go, exit, his name and brother's name, etc.) we are also working on letter sounds and letter blends (ie. what letter do you think lion starts with??) and how some letters have 2 different sounds. idk what they are supposed to be learning either, i just go with the flow LOL
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• princessbeth...e is hard to teach try this....the batter starts at the plate..hits the ball runs all the way around to home...did you buy a butterfly bugville? those are cool...my son loved doing them...going with the flow is good
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 6:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2009