Christians--lets just get this out in the open...

Do you do random acts of charity because God told you to? Is the only reason you will help a person out is because the fear of hell? If the bible didn't say "thou shall not kill" would you off your husband because it won't go against God?

Is it a myth that the Christians are only nice because they fear God?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• im a christian
    i dont look down on those that go against god or dont believe
    i help people because i want to not because someone told me too
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I give to charity because I WANT to. Not because God tells me to or another person. I wouldn't "off" my husband because I love him. Yes it's a myth and this is the most ridiculous question ever posted on CM.

Anonymous

• I don't fear God at all. My mom is an atheist, my father is muslim, I found Christ on my own and I just do good because it makes me feel good. I have never felt like God TOLD me to do anything. I feel like He guides me and I know when I am open to Him, my life is better and I'm happier. I do good because I try to be the change I want to see in the world.

I sin. Daily. I don't sin, and think, Oh I'm covered I'll be forgiven. It's a struggle to not sin because it is my nature. God never asked anyone to be perfect, we all are going to sin, He knows that.

My catholic SO only remembers God when he is sick. When he is sick he ALWAYS looks at me and says I'm sorry for how horrible I am, God is punishing me because of how I treat you. I think HE fears God. I don't. I know God loves me, there is nothing to fear.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 12:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Uhm.... Wow.
    I'm not a Christian, I'm Catholic... however, I agree with anon 9.17, this is the most ridiculous, idiotic, and actually pretty offensive question I've ever read on here.
    ANYBODY who believes in morals and has a decent set of values and opinions would naturally want to help someone in need... and certainly not want to kill their husband... or really anybody for that matter. Granted everyone has thought bad things about someone in the heat of the moment, during a bout of rage, etc... but really?

I have many Christian friends who are very sweet and loving, and not because they fear the wrath of God... because they're good people.

Knuckle brain.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 12:22 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I pray that is not their reason. A Christian should be nice because they are exemplifying fruits of the spirit - love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, meekness, and temperance. That and it's pleasing to God when we love others as ourselves, and esteem them to be better than ourselves, because in doing so we are fullfilling the law of Christ.

RepentantSinner

Answer by RepentantSinner at 12:23 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• First off I think it's horrid to even say such a thing. People in general are not killers of rapist just because they fear God. If they were every non-Christian out there would be a serial offender, and we certainly are not... Also, you have to throw in to that question that many Christian's do not hold a belief in Hell. In fact less and less do all the time, so the threat isn't even there for them. Christians like everyone else come with a conscience that helps guide them through life. With or without their faith they would know it's wrong to hurt others... So, yes, of course it's a myth that Christians are only nive because they fear God. In fact from what I have seen most "nasty" Christians use God and their belief in Hell as an excuse NOT to be nice...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:23 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't kill someone because I don't think I would want to be killed myself. I think the fact that God made these rules, is definatly one of the reasons I follow them. If no one made these rules at all, I couldn't tell what would happen. Yes, I fear the fires of Hell, but that's not why I help people, or treat others with kindness. I would very much like to be treated the same way. I believe that even those who don't believe in God, Heaven, or Hell, mostly feel the same way. No one wants to be treated badly, and sometimes the best way to prevent that is not to do it to others. For example, I saw a guy in a parking lot who looked like he needed his car jumped. I have jumper cables, so I offered to help. Star for me! I once pushed my car for a mile looking for someone to jump my car, and no one offered, some people drove right by. Some people stared at me, then drove by, no one stopped. It was 90 degrees, my baby was with me
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• What in the world are you talking about?!? First of all...I was a friendly, kind and helpful person before I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour. Second of all...there are people who have no faith in their God but try to "buy" their way into Heaven by doing good. Others, will tell you all day long that they are Christians but never act upon that small still voice which commands them to be kind to or help another human being. I do random acts of Charity not because my God "tells" me to do it...I do it because to help another human being if I can is to ensure that that person knows the love that I have for mankind and that love was given to me as a part of how I was knit together within my mother's womb. I am thankful that I was blessed with an outgoing, friendly and helpful personality.
    On another note, nearly all of the world's major religions say that one should help their fellow man.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 12:27 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• It is untrue that people are only nice because they fear God, even if they think that is the reason.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• i get why your asking this question OP and i think its a pretty legit question...and if anyone hasn't gotten why its being asked...people say if god wasn't there people would be selfish etc so in return it does sound like the only reason Christians are nice is because of god etc..does this make sense? (not trying to be rude at all)

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2009