When is the best time to have your second baby and why?

I don't even know yet if I'll have another one, but I'd like to hear from other moms about what it was like for you! Thanks!

SgtsWife1982

Asked by SgtsWife1982 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I dont want another one until mine is 4 or 5 but hubby wants it 2years later..I keep telling him if he is going to be the one carrying it
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• b/c I want to enjoy every thing i can with my first one
    Lovin_mybaby5

• my little one is 16 months and I think in October/November we're going to start trying again :) Some like two years gap others swear by three years. Others say not til kindergarten. There is no way I can wait until my baby is 5 to have another one. hehe.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I would say when your first one is out of diapers and can walk and talk and tell you his needs because it will be very hard if you have another one right after you wont be able to enjoy your second pregnancy and if you first was still in diappers it would be hard to care for them both and give them both the attention thy need
    newmom183

Answer by newmom183 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I say whenever YOU are ready! My first two are a year and 4 days apart. Was it hard....YES! But, I wouldn't change it for the world.
    usafwife314

Answer by usafwife314 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• it's different for everyone. some people like them close together so they can all be close and be friends (if it works out that way) and out of diapers fast. others like them spread out so they can enjoy time with each kid more and not deal with multiple kids in diapers and get some sleep now and then. =) you just need to think about what's right for you.

personally, i'm hoping to have all mine 2-3 yrs apart. i'll sleep in about 8 years. =)
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 1:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I think it's different for each woman. My cousin and I both had our first babies within 2 weeks of each other and she's been ready for #2 for a few months now while I'm wanting to wait AT LEAST 6 years. For me personally, I can't handle two small children at once. I need one to be a little more independent before I am ready to dedicate my time to another infant. Plus, I'd like to have as much one-on-one time with my son as possible before he gets a sibling.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I personally like haivnig my kids 4 years apart. That way you know for sure you don't have 2 in diapers at the same time. Now that being siad. my 3 oldest are 4 years apart. And now having a 17mnth old i'm pregnat and due before he turns 2. So i'll have 2 in diapers. but oh well thats what i get for not doing anything to prevent it.
    Stephie280

Answer by Stephie280 at 2:15 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• We're expecting our first here in a few weeks and we've decided on having another in a good 4/5 years. One reason, I want to give my little one his own time. Two, FINANACES! I don't want to struggle in any way, even though my hubby is military. Three, I want a chance to thrive and flourish in my own teaching career before going through pregnancy again.
    vanessa5470

Answer by vanessa5470 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• It's different for each couple. My husband and I decided to have them close together. My kids will be 21 months apart when this baby is born (I am 11 weeks right now). It can be a challenge at times with a little one still in diapers and with me not feeling very well but I think it will be worth it.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 3:22 PM on Jul. 11, 2009