So, we went out to rent movies last night....

... and we're at the checkout & the guy asks if we want to pay our late fees. Well, we didn't know we had a late fee, but said sure (thinking it's like $4-5). THEN the guy comes off with $75!!

Whoa! Where'd that come from?? So he prints off 2 pages worth of supposed "late returns" dating back to Sept of last year!

We rent there all the time! We've never been told of any late fees. No letters. No phone calls. No mention of it at check out --- 'til now.

How is it that late fees can happen in Sept, Oct, Nov, Jan, & Feb... and we rent from them at least once a month... and NOBODY says anything to us 'til now?? 9 mos after the first occurrance.... 5 mos after the last occurrance??

I told them I was disputing it - if they were mine, I'd have been told a LONG time ago. They told me they weren't taking the fees off. Want me to pay it out. And they won't give me contact info to corporate.

What would you do?

Laura1229

Asked by Laura1229 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• complain to the manager and tell them to fix it
    Anonymous

• lookup the number online......
    Anonymous

• Go on their web site and contact corporate that way.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• We had the same problem and went down there and didn't leave until a manager talked to us then they gave us a corporate number and we contacted them and they told us that they would take off a few of the older late fees, but we ended up having to pay $100 for 2 old games that were not even worth that if you bought them BRAND NEW at a store, but that was their policy and we signed it so we had to pay. Which is probably the same thing that will happen to you, since you signed an agreement with them you'll have to pay. Don't you guys have redbox out there?! That is the best, it's $1 a night and every Tuesday they have new movies out, plus you can reserve them online at redbox.com at the store you want to pick them up at and you don't have to worry about the movie not being there because it's reserved for you. You should try it!!
    Anonymous

• There generally is a number like in the store for like the store manager and district manager, otherwise look it up online and start complaining to everyone you can get a hold of. I was the sale manager at Blockbuster in my area for 2 years trust me get the District manager on the phone and they will take care of it GL.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Was it Network Video? They pulled that bs on me a lot. I stood and watched them one time NOT scan my movies back in. One time I told them to scan then while I was there watching and they refused saying there was plenty of time before they were late. THAT was my point. I wanted them scanned in plenty of time. I think they do it to make extra money bc their business is slow. Call Corporate or write a letter. Tell them you will turn them into the Better Business Bureau and Fair Trade Commission for their suspicious tactics against consumers. I finally got mine paid up and cut up my card. I stick with Netflix now

Answer by admckenzie at 3:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2009