Do you think calories count?

If you don't think calories aren't worth watching in the scheme of our diets, here's pictures of Rhesus monkeys look like when one was on a restricted diet, and the other was not.

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//090709/480/ebbd7c583fba45de86b64a88d932a556/

What do you think?

Of course, imo counting calories isn't the only factor in putting good food in our bodies, but too often Americans eat too many "little" things that add up in our diet, besides the obvious calorie and fat busters. :)

lifeasinoit

Asked by lifeasinoit at 1:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I believe you are what you eat, so if your eating one donut that adds up to 100 callories and then you eat a 100 callorie bag of chips and you drink diet soda then your going to look like what you eat despite how many callories you eat!!
    Anonymous

• i lost 125 lbs. counting calories, so yes i do think they count. and believe me if you blow all your calories on cheesecake or something you learn to be a little more selective about choosing low calorie but filling foods the next day LOL
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• i dont count calories but i do believe tha tif you want to eat a million things with tons of calories then just sit on your butt then oh well youll be fat
    i believe you shoul dburn off what you eat
    that is what i do but i also eat really healthy not big on junk food only weakness i have really is my starbucks and my 1000 calorie pizza i eat like once ever other month lol
    its just soooo good lol its bbq chicken onion and cheese and mroe cheese lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:44 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Calories DO count, but why not make them count in a good way?! If you're going to eat 100 calories, sure the donuts or cupcake might be more satisfying to your sweet tooth, but why not have a couple of small apples or a banana instead? You get a lot more nutrition. You're feeding your body's needs, not just your caloric needs.

I know that I can barely finish a huge chef salad for lunch but it'll take two or three sandwiches (many more calories) to fill me in the same way.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:06 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Calories do count and so does exercise and smart choices. Your body needs a certain amount of calories just to lay in bed all day, so you do need to count calories & make sure you are getting enough to not starve your body but taking less (or burning more) than you would need just to maintain your current weight.

So yes calories count, I think that making smarter choices about the calories we choose to eat is better than just living with a restricted diet though.
    Inkedmommy007

Answer by Inkedmommy007 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2009