How do you know when your carseat has "expired"?

Is there a website that you can look up car seats and manufacture dates to see when they expire? Everything i've seen so far says they are good for 6 years, but i want to make sure that applies to all car seats and not certain brands and such. The manufacture date on mine from my first baby is March of '04, and i want to make sure it will be safe for this baby!

MommaTurbo

Asked by MommaTurbo at 1:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it says underneath the carseat the expiration date
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 1:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Nope. Unless i'm completely blind, it only has the manufacture date on a sticker. There are no other stickers with dates on them nor is it stamped into the plastic anywhere.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 1:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• You manual should say I think. But as a geveral rule it's 6 years from when the seat was made. A couple seats have a 7 year date... but if you can't find the info on your seat then I would go with the 6. Another thing you could do is look up the company online and give them a call.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• The "general rule" is 5 years. However, some manufacturers do guarantee theirs for a year or two longer.

Call the manufacturer's customer service line. Give them the model name and number, and the manufacture date then they will be able to tell you for sure.

Keep in mind that length of time is under optimal conditions, and provided it was never in ANY accident at all. (any accident and the seat must be immediately replaced) Also consider if it was used for a few months or constantly for years (like a 3-in-1 seat)

Personally, I've just given them 5 years and replaced them.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• most should say the expiration date odd that it dont
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 1:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I tried looking it up online, but there's no specific info on it. I called the customer care #, but it says they are out to lunch (????). I'll try them again, i just wanted to find it online.

I think i'll just get a new one to be safe. The new baby will only be 6 months old when the 6 year expiration date hits, and i used it with my first for almost a year, so i'd have to get a new one soon anyways.

I cant find my dang manual either. We've moved a few times since we got the seat, and it got lost in the shuffle somewhere along the way!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 1:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• If you know the name and model, I could try to help you locate the information. Most are 6 yrs after DOM, a handful are a bit longer. Most seats either have a sticker with this info, or some have it embedded in the plastic, making it a bit harder to see.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Mine are good for 9 years from the date of manufacture. Mine are Cosco ones though. What kind of seat do you have? The Graco ones do NOT have expiration dates on them but instead the site says you should replace them every 6 years. Those are the only 2 I know of off the top of my head.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:51 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• You can take it in to the fire department and they will check it out for you.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:28 AM on Jul. 12, 2009