I WANT 2 STOP BF!

SO I HAVE BEEN BF FOR 6 MONTHS NOW AND IM TIRED. I HAVE BEEN HAVING ALOT OF PROBLEMS WITH DEPRESSION. SO I NEED TO STOP ANYONE KNOW HOW TO WEAN THEM OFF? PLEASE NO BASHING. IM DOING WHATS RIGHT FOR ME.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We just switched our son to formula cold turkey. It worked fine, but we may have just gotten lucky. I've heard that gradually decreasing the breastmilk to formula ratio works for some people.

Good luck with whichever method you find.

makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 1:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Well you just gotta cut out feedings and replace it with bottles and you cant pump but if you get to swollen you can massage some of the milk out but dont pump. Supply and demand! It takes a couple weeks before your body stops making as milk. Honey I stopped BF at 6 months too, By that time it gets so hard because the baby wants to run around and you just wish you can have a drink!! Relax Honey its all ok! You need a friend Im here for you!!!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• THANKS ARMYWIFE...I HAVE ASKED THIS QUESTION BEFORE I HAD ALOT OF PEOPLE TELLING ME I NEED TO KEEP GOING. THAT IT WAS BEST FOR MY BABY. I DID IT 6 MONTHS, TWO MONTHS LONG THAT MY FIRST.
    Anonymous

• Kudos for at least doing it. You have to wean gradually until your milk supply decreases. It will hurt if you don't. Start out trying to FF during the day and BF at night.
    Anonymous

• Just stop. There is absolutely no reason to make yourself miserable when there are alternatives for feeding a baby. If you're miserable, the baby may be, too.

Don't be surprised if you see a change in the baby's behavior. I did.
    Anonymous

• Kudos to you for being brave enough to do it for your sanity's sake. That's what I did and people have given me hell over it too! I didn't last nearly as long as you have though.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• First off, awesome job for making it to 6 months! If your child takes bottles already just mix formula in with breastmilk and slowly decrease how much bm you put in the bottle. Don't pump for those missed feeding or you'll keep producing for those times. Good Luck!
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 2:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I was in a similar situation, I had alot of problems with PPD and I stopped BFing but I went back to it after trying very hard to get my supply back. I am now pumping and also formula feeding, because DD has teeth now, and likes to chew when I try to BF and my body doesn't produce enough milk to keep up with her. Do you just not want to BF at all, or is there some way you could pump and give it in a bottle? Try that and see if it makes things a little easier. If not, then gradually switch to formula. If you just all of a sudden switch, then it could cause your little one to become constipated! They may get a little constipated anyhow. Goodluck. :)
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 2:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• when i weaned my dd i just cut out one feeding every so oftena nd i had my ex give her bottles so she wouldnt look to me to bf her i only lasted 4 months toatal b/c of her appitte and my depresson combin
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 3:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• It's best for your child and your body to do it as gradually as possible. I'd replace one nursing session per week with formula, until you're completely on formula. I'd like to add, that if you DO want to continue, there are people that can help you. Many antidepressants are safe while nursing. I'm NOT pushing you, just giving you information that you may or may not have. Contact me if you'd like to continue, or nurse part time, I love to help. Congrats on going 6 mos, it is quite an accomplishment!

Also, I wanted to comment on the poster who mentioned having a drink. In general, having a drink, or two, is safe. If you wanted more then that, I'd wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing again. I know you didn't ask this, just wanted to put it out there.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2009