If you're not supposed to wash your hair EVERY day, how can you keep it looking good on off days?

I know for the maximum health of your hair you're not supposed to wash it every single day. But if I don't wash it every day, my hair gets oily and gross. Is there a way to keep it looking alright on the days I don't wash it?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 1:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Just rinse through with lots of clean, fresh water. The reason your hair gets so oily and greasy between washes is because your scalp is so used to you stripping it of all it's natural oils that it's overproducing them now to try to keep your skin and hair moisturized.

Look into going 'poo free. I love it. My hair is shiny, manageable and stronger since I went shampoo free. You wash it once a week (twice at most) with baking soda, rinse with apple cider vinegar, then just rinse with plain water in between washes. It really does work.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 1:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Try sea salt, you rub it on your scalp and put a cap on for about 30 minutes then comb it out and it should absorb the oil and dirt. Also they have dry shampoo that you can use, if my hair gets to oily on my off days I put dry shampoo on just the oily parts then I put a little bit of water and blow dry it, usually it's just my scalp so it's not that big of a deal to put a little bit of water on the top. But try these they should work.
    Anonymous

• vinegar...
    Anonymous

• I've actually read into that. Doesn't your hair look bad in the in-between stage though? I've thought about trying it since everyone that does it loves their hair, but I'm scared my hair will look bad while it's getting used to the transition. I'm narcissistic like that xD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I think that applies for people with dry hair, cuz my hair is the same way.
    They also say don't wash everyday but you use just conditioner
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Back in the day we used to use powder in our hair to keep from washing it every day but keep the oil down.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Your hair will look crappy in the transition phase, but that's just because your scalp has to get used to not producing so much oil. If you keep your hair back, you can't tell it's oily.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 1:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• If your hair is a little oily, baby powder will absorb the oil. And it'll make your hair smell better if it's stinky! (I use it sometimes because I work in a bar that still allows smoking)
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• also, if your a hair-toucher, as in unconscious habit of running your fingers through your hair/always messing with it..you will transfer dirt/oils from hands to your hair/scalp.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 2:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• You have dark hair - don't try the baby powder it will be noticable!

Look at you local beauty supply stores for dry shampoos; they should have some formulated for dark hair as well...

Mine's very long; so on the off days I pull it back...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 11, 2009