toothbrushes, seriously?

My sons allergies and asthma bless him with frequent colds and sinus infections. His dr recently brought up to me that I should replace his toothbrush each time. Seriously? They're like 2-4$ a pop depending on what character he wants each time. Do people really do this? We replace maybe twice a year plus the free dentist ones for in between if the bristles get icky. If he has a cold every month it's like ... 60 a yr on toothbrushes!?!?!?!?!? for just HIM?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 1:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Health

• I could be wrong, but can't you just sanitize them after he's been sick? Maybe boil it or something?  Oh, btw- to the PP she said she replaces 2x a year plus the ones from the dentist in between.  I do agree that the dollar stores usually have the "good ones", you might want to look into that and stock up a bit anyway. 

dannydawna

Answer by dannydawna at 2:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• It's true that you're suppose to switch out tooth brushes after a child has been sick, usually after flus. I wouldn't worry about switching them out over allergies or sinus infections because they're not something that can be caught, they're bodily induced. I do think however that you should replace your tooth brushes more than twice a year, more like every 2-3 months. You can always ask your dentist for extras. Costco sells them in bulk which can be a little cheaper if you are buying for a few family members.
    Anonymous

• OK first off twice a year is horrible, it's suppose to be every 3 months your dentist will tell you that. Just go to the dollar store and buy him a tooth brush, we got these cute little characters for a dollar for a pack of 3. Also you can get a cap for his tooth brush and remember replace his tooth brush every 3 MONTHS!!!!!!!! They're not expensive!!!!!
    Anonymous

• If you're replacing it once a month, and it's two dollars a brush, how are you getting 60 dollars? I get $24.
    Why would you buy a $4 toothbrush for a child? Does it REALLY matter?
    And..every 6 months is disgusting. Way to teach good hygeine.
    Anonymous

• YIKES! I buy them the fancy disney ones about twice a year. Sometimes more. And we use the free dentist ones in between.... so that's about every 4 mos or so. Angry ignorant anom's annoy me. Costco is a DAMN good idea..... so is boiling..... I might give that one a shot tonight.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• You need to replace them every 3 months. No I don't replace them for cold, but I do for strep throat, flu and things like that. You can also put the toothbrush in the dishwasher, or boil it to get rid of the germs. COSTCO or Sam's are good options to buy toothbrushes in bulk.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• we replace toothbrushes every six months (every dental checkup), and any time someone is sick.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2009