Can non-vaccinated kids go to public school?

I remember when I was growing up I couldnt get in with my shot recored so i went 3 weeks not being in school until my mom got the records....Born in 86...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Health

• I think they have waivers for that. But, I' m not sure.

I was the same way. I had to go home early because i didnt have two shots that were needed. I got them that same day. Born in '86 too.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I remember that too! I was born in '86 and you had to have all vaccinations.

But they probably have waivers now....
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• yes, they have waivers. You should be able to call your school district office to get the forms that you need to fill out.
    Anonymous

• No, here in CA you cannot go to public school unless you have your shots!! There are no waivers out here, if your child doesn't have their shots then they ask their nurse to give them the shots.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the state you live in. Some allow for religious purposes, medical, anything. It's up to the state to decide.

Anon :07, yes in California you can attend a public school with a waiver.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Depends on the state, there are waivers for medical, religious and person beliefs. Check with your school district BEFORE enrolling because if you don't have a waiver on file you can be fined daily and or jailed and your child can be banned from school (atleast in Wisconsin).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• There can be medical reasons. My children have a rare genetic disease called common variable immune deficiency (CV"ID). Immunizations don't work for them and some of the immunizations could actually give them the disease. Their bodies can't form antibodies like they are supposed to do. That is what immunizations do.

I also have CVID. One of my sons and I are very allergic to tetanus vaccination. I almost died the last one I had and was hospital for 3 days.

We home schooled most of the time. My oldest went to high school. If the nurse thought there was some illness going on in the school that put my son at risk then he would be sent home. It didn't happen much.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2009