• In the Spotlight:

Water?

DD and I are staying in Texas for about 3 months. She is only 3 months old. She has been in Northern California since birth and the weather was NOTHING like here in Texas. Since we've been, she has been constantly sweaty and sticky. It's obviously the humidity! I don't want her to get dehydrated, and I was wondering if it is okay to give her a little bit of water or is her breastmilk and formula enough? And when did you start giving your children water?

MadisonsMom0408

Asked by MadisonsMom0408 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO! Your breast milk is mostly water and enough to keep her hydrated. Water wiol actually disrupt her electrolyte balance and that can be very dangerous. www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/baby-water.html
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 2:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• They say breastmilk and/or formula is all they need but seriously, 2 or 3 ounces of water once or twice a day is NOT going to hurt her. I wouldn't give much more than that. Yes, there is water in formula and breastmilk but I don't think it'd be as refreshing on a hot sticky day as a few sips of cool water would be!
    Anonymous

• Oh and I first started giving a few ounces of water at about 3 months but it was to help with constipation. He started getting it with meals/snacks at about 7-8 months.
    Anonymous

• I gave my son pedia lite around 3 months to give him something a lil diff to help keep him hydrated.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I lived in Texas when mine was that age...no water. If you are breastfeeding, you're golden. Make sure you stay hydrated...your body will automatically adjust the needed water/electrolyte balance for baby. Water should only be given in conjunction with solids. Once baby starts eating solid food, then she can handle small amounts of water (more as she eats more). Even in the Texas heat, you can do serious damage to your baby by giving water.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• It CAN be dangerous to give a child that young water. The water in formula, and breastmilk IS enough. If you still want to consider this, speak to your doctor and look up water toxicity.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2009