Do you have well mannered teens? Are you friends with your teens' friend's parents

How do become familiar if I don't even know where the friend's live? I can't make my son invite his friens' over He probably won't he doesn't now either. How do I make sure he has health friends (not healthy physically)? If you saw changes beginning in your teen how did you take control of the changes by you helping?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I have gotten to know the parents of my girls friends by going out to the car if they are picking them up or even to the door and introducing myself. She is now 16 yo and I have atleast one parent for all her friends. When she was younger it just went without saying. If you are going to a friends house I am meeting their mom. Many moms have done the same with me. As for their friends, maybe it is different with boys, but girls do come over, and some boy "friends" too. The real boyfriend is always welcome and I have had many chats with his parents. Too bad if they don't like it, it is either that or I make it very difficult to be together.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My son is very well mannered and so are all his friends. I do know his friends parents, the ones he hangs out with the most. He has been friends with his friends since Kindergarten or they live in the neighborhood. I would make it a point to know who my sons are and who their parents are. He doesn't go to houses where I don't know the parents.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• You could see if your son wants to go with a friend for pizza, bowling, movies, mall, etc. You drive, you pick up friend and maybe drop them off--whatever he and you are comfortable with. Or go to a school event or something and if one of his buds doesn't have a ride home, volunteer to take them home (with his folks' permission of course)--offer to stop at McD's on the way.

We knew pretty much all of our kids' friends' parents. It didn't necessarily happen on the first visit, but it did very shortly. It's pretty easy when you have to drive them to see their friends. You just get out of the car and go to the door. If a kid answers the door, you ask if their mom or dad is there and then you introduce yourself and make small talk. Chances are they're happy to meet you too and you end up chatting longer than you planned.

Our kids were well-mannered, but teens nonetheless.
    mama_k228

Answer by mama_k228 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 11, 2009