How do you effectively clean a suede couch entirely?

We have had a suede couch for five years and I would love to clean it. Can I do it myself? And if so how? Or can upholstry companies clean it?

MumFerg

Asked by MumFerg at 2:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Still no answers. Hmm. We have a micro-fiber couch, and I clean it with my steam cleaner for my carpets. With two wild little boys, my couch gets cleaned ALOT.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 11:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• If your sofa is actually real sueded leather, I strongly advise you call a reputable professional to clean it so you don't ruin it. For a standard size sofa that is leather or suede, you can expect to pay $100-200 for this service by someone who knows what they're doing.
    If it's microsuede (microfiber)--which is actually just synthetic material like polyester, you could conceivably clean it yourself if you had a machine with enough power to suck all the water back out. Use very little cleaning solution (mostly water) and rinse it thoroughly. Put fans on it to dry it quickly. Or call a pro--a synthetic material like microsuede will likely be about 20-30% less to clean than actual suede.
    Anonymous