what breast feeding tips did you depend on the most?

I'm 20, having my first baby around september 17th, and no one around me has ever breastfed, so tips would be great... I'm looking into a lactation specialist. What are some things no one ever told you and you never read anywhere that you wish someone had told you??

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 2:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• How hard it was at first, and how fullfilling it would be once you get past the first few weeks. I had a nurse in the hospital tell me that if I ever felt like giving up, to wait one more day, or one more week, and I would change my mind before my time line was over. It was so worth it once we got past the first 2 weeks. Stock up on Lanolin, it is a life saver. And I wish I knew about the growth spurts too. Whenyour baby has a growth spurt they will act as if they cant eat enough fort afew days, and I had alot of people tell me I needed to give my son a bottle because it was "obvious" he wasn't getting enough milk from me, but if you give a supplement your body will stop making enough. It's better to just ride it out, it will be over in a few days and back to anormal nursing schedule again.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• "watch the baby not the clock".
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Make sure the baby has your entire nipple in tis mouth, push the nipple in further with every suckle because it is less painful for you. Do not hunch when feeding baby, bring the baby to your breast, dont bring your breast to the baby!
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 2:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• That sore nipples don't last forever. It's true too. After a couple of weeks they were back to normal again. Well, as normal as they can be with a baby sucking on the all day!!
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 3:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• relax - that part was hard for me! I was so scared but once I relaxed all was well.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• use lanolin!!!! it helps soo much with sore nipples! and ist safe for baby... id start putting it on them a few days before you ahve baby to get them good and ready!! and use it as often as needed!!!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 3:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• well i loved the lil gel pads i found at the store for sore and cracked nipples...omg they were heaven!!!!!!!
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Don't let doubt creep in. Don't worry about how much milk you're making or "if" you'll be able to do it. And if someone asks how you know the baby is getting enough, ignore them. Don't let people sabotage you and don't sabotage yourself.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2009