Our life is too perfect...

and no im not trying to jinx it..we have been married 12 yrs, have 3 beautiful healthy kids..but we dont fight,we dont argue without laughing, we dont cheat on each other..we love all the same things....i dont want my kids growing up thinking this is normal when we all know it isn't....I have even went as far as to telling DH we need to fight or do something to make us more *normal*....
what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• NO! You have a good relationship, and although it isn't today's norm, that doesn't make it any less valuable! Your kids will grow up knowing how to expect to be treated by someone they care about: with love and respect. I don't know how old your kids are, but I'm sure there will be times when you disagree with each other and come to a compromise, and they will see that too!
    It's really a shame all relationships aren't like this, but don't you think it's better? Besides, I'm sure they will learn it from friends' parents or somewhere else. You may be setting a high standard for them, sure, but there's nothing wrong with waiting for someone to meet your expectations, as long as they know that compromise is a big part of that, too.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 2:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I think it's beautiful to have that kind of relationship!! Your kids are lucky to know it exists. They will be exposed to the harsh reality eventually... They will have friends who parents fight or be in a not so perfect relationship of their own one day. Don't spoil it for them!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 2:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I'm happy for you and your family. Do volunteer work as a family and as individuals in ways that you directly help people or animals. Do things that requires you to give up something significant - time, money, something you use.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• You do want your kids growing up thinking that is normal....because IT IS! Thats the way life was intended to be. Marriage was supposed to be like that. Its GOOD for your kids to be in a stable home with parents who are moral, upright and healthy. Our home is basically the same. We have our own stresses and respond but we dont fight and we generally get along. Theres no cheating and theres no blatant dysfunction. Thats normal and I wont accept the worlds way of doing life as normal and neither should you. We wonder why the world is going to hell in a handbasket and we want to be like it? no way. The only draw back to being so agreeable is that when you DO disagree, and its going to happen, then the kids think youre fighting when youre not. We can discuss the least little thing and they say...stop fighting. We laugh and laugh and say..um, yall think THAT is fighting? We have sheltered them a lot. Kids should grow up like that
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:22 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• so you want to expose your kids to dysfunction? why? then they would seek dysfunction in a relationship. Seeing what you have they might try to find someone they actually like and get along with. Nothing wrong with that. What you have is normal for your family. It's not a bad thing. They can find enough arguing and bad stuff in life as it is. Keep up the good work.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• If your relationship is going well, why mess with a good thing? I don't know how old your kids are, but if they are like mine they are around their friends families as well as our relative's families and they see what kinds of relationships others have. My kids (sometimes) notice differences and will ask questions. Like when my sis and bil were fighting one holiday and announced they were getting a divorce. My kids wanted to know why Auntie was mad at uncle J-- and what divorce meant.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Thats crazy, enjoy what you have.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• i have a marriage like that....it took me 5 years of living in hell to find it but i did and im glad that it exsits b/c i was loseing faith
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 4:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• This is what everyone should have. Your children will benefit from seeing a relationship based on respect and love. This is what they will find when they begin looking for a life partner. Don't change a thing.
    Wiggles_GA

Answer by Wiggles_GA at 8:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2009