Would you accept used underwear for you toddler?

So part of me thinks 'ew'. But another part of me (the rational part) says, how is this ANY different than any other type of clothing? My son as peed a LOT or pooped a runny poop and it has gotten on shorts, socks, shirts, and underwear. I wash them, they are clean. SO he re-wears them, and eventually I give away most of his clothes, so some of them DID have poop/pee on them (just like underwear). For older kids and adults, it's different because our growth spurts aren't as quick and so we 'wear out' our undies (just like we don't pass clothes around when we get older). SO anyway, what do YOU think?

ProudSingleMum

Asked by ProudSingleMum at 3:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree with your point, but it's just one of those things like.... ewww. I'd rather just buy new ones for my DS. They aren't that expensive and I wouldn't constantly be thinking about it.
    Yes, it's all in my head, but it makes a difference to me lol
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 3:04 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• yes I would, just when I do loundry I would let it sit and soak for a while
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I don't accept them if they are stained and I don't give away stained ones either. If they look new, I will take them.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• No. Thats always been my answer. I have no problem buying gently used clothing off ebay or consignment stores, but I will not and never will buy or accept used underwear, bras or socks. Call me snobby, call me uppity, call me crazy, but I will not do this. I have always been this way and theres no situation that made me this way. I think you have a point about poop getting on certain items of clothing, but the likelyhood of that is slim. Whenever my kids have pooped all over things, it tends to stain, so they are not articles of clothing that I would sell or give away. If they are stained, they go in the garbage. Most of what I buy comes from outlets and if its off ebay, its been worn only a few times. I just decided a long time ago that no matter how poor I get, my kids will have their own underwear, socks and other undergarments. Just me though. No judgment to anyone who feels differently.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I have. And honestly while there is that TINY ew factor for me...I really just don't have a problem with it :) Plus some of the used undies are freaking awesome. I still have to find out where my friend got her nephew BOXER BRIEFS...they are so cute on a tiny little bum, haha.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 3:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• If they were from someone I knew really well or a family member, sure. I bleach all undies anyway.
    But if they look really worn, probably not. If it would hurt the persons feels just take them and put them in a used cloths bin.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• oh yeah, and as someone pointed out about growth spurts... I bought my son a bunch of cute underwear on sale back when he was still in diapers and then he could only wear that size for like... a minute! Some of them that I gave away had never actually been worn but I had washed them all so they were technically "used" underwear

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• momofsaee, you are more than welcome to your thoughts on this. I don't view you as snobby because of this, it is ALL personal preference.

Sock, yeah, I get those used. But I would not get bras, because they are there for support, and used bras are lacking support, so it would be pointless, IMO. :)
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 3:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Yes, I have and they've been a lifesaver! Of course, now I have like over 30 pairs of underwear ranging in size from 4 to 8, but eventually, he'll wear them all. The only ones I buy now are the boxer briefs that he's starting to prefer (no wedgies).
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• For little kids who go through several pairs a day, I would pass them on take them....BUT only from someone I know, usually family.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 3:51 PM on Jul. 11, 2009