Anyone have sleep apnea?

My mom has it but she doesn't wear her CPAP. (Yeah REAL smooth mooth, exlax.)

I have a sleep study consultation on Thursday. I think I might have it as well. I've snored my entire life and since I have Medicaid I want to get to the bottom of it once and for all.

Does anyone else have it? Is losing weight the only cure for it?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 3:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Health

• I have it and my dr said losing weight won't help bc I have a small esophagus. Weight has no effect on mine. I use a Bi Pap. It took me years to get used to the Cpap but then had to force myself to use it. It still gave me grief so I switched to a BiPap and it makes all the difference in the world. It "breathes" with me instead of a single flow that is unnatural and goes against the in and out of breathing like a Cpap. I use the pillows and not the mask, too. Have your mom try a Bipap. I also have them give me oxygen as well. It's amazing how much energy you get from that. It's paid for so you may as well get all you can get for the buck. PM me if you want to know more.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My DH has it, and as far as I know, loosing weight will not cure it. It might make it worse if you are extremely overweight, but thats about it. He uses the Cpap machine and mask and says it really helps him. He actually lost weight when he started it bc he was able to be more active. And I got a good night's sleep instead of waking up 20 times a night to him not breathing or snoring like crazy! The only side effect he notices it that sometimes he wakes up with dry mouth bc of the Oxygen being forced through his lungs all night, so the BiPap PP suggested may be better but his insurance wouldn't pay for it. Anyways, hope this helps!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 3:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2009